20 Years Ago Today - Enniskillen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We will remember them.

We will not forget those who committed this atrocity either.

2. Cheers TZA,

I was just about to post this subject here, you just beat me to it.

I agree The_Cad, we won't forget the scum that carried this out.

V30A

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

All in the aim of promoting peace dontcha know.

4. In reaction to the bombing Bono, of the Irish rock band U2, paused during the singing of his famous protest song about the Troubles, Sunday Bloody Sunday, to denounce the violence and the Irish-Americans supporting it with an inspired romanticism, saying:

And let me tell you something: I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in twenty or thirty years come up to me and talk about the resistance, the revolution back home; and the glory of the revolution, and the glory of dying for the revolution - **** the revolution! They don't talk about the glory of killing for the revolution. What's the glory in taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where's the glory in that? Where's the glory in bombing a remembrance day parade of old-age pensioners, their medals taken out and polished up for the day? Where's the glory in that? To leave them dying, or crippled for life, or dead, under the rubble of the revolution that the majority of the people in my country don't want. No more! Sing No more!

5. Found this on the tinterweb, a good article on the massacre

Enniskillen Massacre

The site details other atrocities and is worth a good read.

6. Oddly enough for me, i have to agree with Bono, I usually would like to see him scattered over a wide area with a little help from our friend Mr Handgrenade but on this occasion he has a nail squarely on the head.

Damned horrific event at any rate and utterly abhorrent. Quite what they saw to gain from it escapes me.

TMS

7. I remember well, I was greatly moved and it still gets a bit of dust in my eye when I think of the nobility, honesty and bravery of Gordon Wilson whose daughter Marie was killed. Admittedly my faith is taking a sabbatical but Gordon was able ask forgiveness (in the Christain sense) for the killers and publically called for the loyalists not to seek revenge. A man of immense courgae and conviction.

I was also seeing a girl from Enniskillen, a town she loved, and she was always saddened that like Omagh later it is a place that will always be remembered for a tragedy.

None of the victims will be forgotten nor will the callous senselessness of the act itself.

8. Enniskillen.
    A truly great old garrison town.
    Home of the famous Inniskillings.
    And the RUC training College (no coincidence that, I guess).

Many of us will never, never ever forget the sheer, utter wickedness of that Sunday 20 years ago. Irritable eye, and raised blood pressure just thinking about it now.

And well said Bono; I'd didn't know about that before.

9. Add to the list of the victims on that day George Hill, died in 1999 after having been in a virtual coma for 12 years

10. RIP

Enniskillen should never be forgotten.

Was anybody ever convicted for it?

11. Ah yes Irish-Americans - they'd do anything for Ireland. Except fecking live here of course :roll:

Gordon Wilson was a hero. People all over Ireland were humbled by his act of forgiveness. If anything good can be said to come out of that atrocity it was the further estrangement of Sinn Fein/PIRA from from mainstream opinion in Ireland. On the propaganda/political front it was a defeat for them; thanks in large part to Gordon Wilson's courage and decency which certainly made for a stark contrast with the faceless murderous thugs of PIRA.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was in Omagh that day, a damn busy one it turned out to be.