20 Jan: ANA soldier kills 4 French soldiers in Tagab RC-EAST

Is there an English link to the story???Looks like same kind of situation the Gren Guards had where Matty Telford, RSM and his lads were murdered.

Does make you wonder about the reliability of the ANA, even if 95% are OK the fact that every now and then a number of alllied troops are murdered by one person does not bode well for the present or future.
Quis custodiet ipso custodiens?
It is now on the BBC web site but not too much detail at the moment
Google auto translated it as follows

Afghanistan: a shooting at Tagab has killed four French soldiers (updated)
An Afghan soldier opened fire this morning in the district of Tagab of French soldiers, making, according to Afghan sources, four dead and 17 wounded. The information comes from several local sources. The shooting would be held during a joint operation in Kapisa and the author of the fatal shootings have been stopped.

ISAF has released (9.30 French) a statement reporting a shooting in eastern Afghanistan and the arrest of the author of the shots. EMA does not confirm any information at present, the official procedure is to prevent families and leave the Elysee Palace announced the sad news.

The shooting follows the death of two of the second REG legionnaires killed in late December, for an ANA soldier in the same area (see my post of Dec. 29 by clicking here ).

26 French soldiers died in Afghanistan in 2011. 78 will have fallen since 2004. So these are 82 French soldiers were killed on the Afghan theater of operations.
FRA defence minister on his way to Kabul...more to follow, expect some major knee jerk reaction 4 months before presidential elections in France.

Sad on all accounts.

Edit: Sarko has just announced that all FRA combat and training Ops in Afghanistan were frozen for the time being. INS must be chuffed to bits.
So we train the Afghan Army up to fight like the British and they immediately start killing the French. Proud day indeed!

Book Reviewer
The French Army has had their version of OMLT in Kapisa for some years.... French Army-trained ANA shooting Frenchmen.

Rest in peace fellers - and a swift recovery to the 16 others who were injured.

With an election due, if not Sarko himself then one of his rivals will doubtless jump on the bandwagon and step up calls for France to leave them to it....

Le Monde piece this morning :
Paris suspend ses opérations en Afghanistan après la mort de quatre soldats - LeMonde.fr
Quatre soldats français ont été tués et 16 autres blessés, vendredi 20 janvier, par un militaire afghan dans l'est de l'Afghanistan, a déclaré une source au sein des services de renseignement afghans. Nicolas Sarkozy a confirmé, lors de ses vœux au corps diplomatique, la mort des soldats et annoncé la suspension des opérations de formation et d'aide au combat de l'armée française auprès de l'armée afghane."Je ne peux pas accepter que des soldats afghans tirent sur des soldats français", a souligné Nicolas Sarkozy. La question d'un retour anticipé de l'armée française est posée, a-t-il ajouté.
Shocking news. Rest in Peace to those who have lost their lives. My condolences to their families. I wish a speedy recovery to the wounded.

If the perpetrator has been caught alive, please feel free to cut his balls off if you have to if it helps you to catch those who put him up to it!
Shocking news. Rest in Peace to those who have lost their lives. My condolences to their families. I wish a speedy recovery to the wounded.If the perpetrator has been caught alive, please feel free to cut his balls off if you have to if it helps you to catch those who put him up to it!
Unfortunately he will be treated with kid gloves and if any slight retaliation all the do gooders will be up in arms at the poor treatment he receives and he will then be the victim in all this.

Book Reviewer
Most of these Green on Blue incidents stem not from Taliban infiltration, or some cunning deep deep cover Jihadist, but just because some Afghan is pissed off for some reason. "Cultural Differences" is the term used. Easy enough, I'm afraid, when there's Westerners living alongside Afghans. Granted, the French are closer to Afghans than we are, but it's still a big cultural divide. It's very easy to piss one off to such an extent that they go postal - and I don't mean just showing the soles of your feet, or blowing your nose in public.
The origins of the four soldiers killed this morning on FOB Gwan have been given:

2 WOs from the 93°RAM (Moutain Artillery Regiment)
1 Cpl from the 93°RAM

Those three moutain artillerymen belonged to an OMLT which supports Kandak 34 (see picture)

The last killed is a SSGT from the 2°REG (FFL Engineer Regiment who had already lost two other NCOs killed by an ANA soldier on the 29th of December)

The very high number of casualties on this incident (19 altogether) is due to the fact that these soldiers were doing their morning PT; they were inside a COP, finishing their physical training wearing PT gear and carrying no weapons when an ANA NCO walked to them armed with an automatic weapon and opened fire.

With this second green on blue in three weeks, the French forces in Afghanistan have lost the equivalent of a platoon to the ANA.

Book Reviewer
jeez....makes you wonder how they managed to capture him after the event - and keep him alive...an NCO too so presumably served a bit rather than fresh recruit.

As Old Snowy says - most likely some Pushtunwali code bollocks behind this rather than Taliban deep cover .... dead is dead though....

As we try and get the ANA/AUP into a position where they can take control of security of the country on their own I think we can expect to see more incidents like this. However, I would suggest that the people who carry out these attacks aren't always dyed in the wool Taliban.