20,000 Surface-to-Air Missiles Missing in Libya

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by Bad CO, Sep 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Maybe I'll drive the next time I go on holiday!

More......

2. I'm more surprised, that anyone would have thought that this wouldn't have happened!

3. no wonder we have taken our Typhoons and Apaches out of that airspace.

4. Look on the bright side, maybe somebody will use one on Blair.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Its not confined to MANPADS; just about every kind of weapon, from small arms through to large scale artilley systems has been selectively removed from Libya into neighbouring states. Theres been some reporting of this, but not enough to generate too much public anguish. Remeber the "oops factor" with Iraq when one and all helped themselves to Saddam's stock? At least that was, in the main, for domestic consumption. The Libyan stock is, I imagine, spread across the bulk of Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa and into the Horn of Africa. Talk aboout sowing the Dragon's Teeth. Years of work ahead for any nation intent upon a bit of pre-emptive interdiction.

6. Love the irony in the advert at the bottom of this page! :grin:

Arrse.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's par for the course for this administration. Sen Barbara "Call Me Senator, General. I'm sure I've earned the title" Boxer is bleating the line that her fellow Dum-ocrats no doubt could echo. I don't know if there was anything the Mulatto could have done to prevent the disappearance of 20,000 Russian made missiles; **** all in all probability, but it's laughable that no one considered the fact that it could happen. A blind man could have seen it.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Just one sobering aspect of the Libyan 'liberation'. Other than who really calls the shots in the NTC. If SAMs are being reported what the hell else is out there in the desert? Mustard gas has been found. And a particularly chilling line from a piece in the Telegraph...

My bold. Mainly controlled. So not entirely controlled then?

9. if any of these mongs can fire one of these without killing themselves then fair play to them

• Like Like x 1
  10. Some SAMs (along with other weaponry) have reportedly found their way to Gaza from Libya.

11. msr

msr LE

How much skill / technical knowledge does it take to actually operate one of these?

I'm guessing it's a bit more than point it at the sky and press the loud button...

12. IIRC, Comdt RMAS talked about air mobility and the current, negligible, MANPADS threat on HERRICK; he even went so far as to state that on he AKX that Iran had its own reasons for not wanting to see significant numbers of MANPADS deployed by insurgents on its eastern borders. Perhaps that dynamic is about to change? And if they are going to the Horn of Africa, how long will it be before some Somali pirates attempt to shoot down a NATO naval helicopter?

13. Cow

Cow LE

It must be, if I was a scrote in Libya I'd be having a play with everything I could find! Certainly be having a few shots at planes if I could. I wonder if there have been many firings not reported to the public?

You must wonder why with such (reported) stockpiles of weapons they weren't used more? Lack of training/manpower?

• Like Like x 1
  14. you know all 20,000 have probably been fired wildly into the air by now

15. One does have to wonder - if there really are that many missiles in servicable condition floating around Libya, why haven't the (at least vaguely) trained soldiers of the Pro-Gaddaffi forces been using them to take pot-shots at Apaches/Tigers/etc?