20,000 rifles nicked in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Some CSgt is having a Bad Day in downtown Kuwait:

"ABU DHABI — Kuwait has reported the theft of a massive amount of U.S. weapons. The Interior Ministry said thieves broke into a warehouse and stole a huge amount of firearms and ammunition. The ministry said 20,000 U.S.-origin M-16 assault rifles and 15,000 rounds for 9mm pistols were stolen. “There were no guards during the break-in,” the ministry said on April 7. The ministry said the target was a warehouse of the Interior Ministry in Subiya. The statement said thieves broke three doors and removed the entire contents of the warehouse. Kuwait has been a major defense client of the United States. The U.S. military has stationed some 13,000 troops, most of them assigned to logistics, to the Gulf Cooperation Council sheikdom."
    20,000 U.S. M-16s stolen from unguarded warehouse in Kuwait | World Tribune

I am impressed! I wonder where they will turn up, as frankly M16 is not the weapon-of-choice for your average Terr. And how come they stole 5.56mm weapons and 9mm Ammo? They'll have problems fitting that into the magazines...

Anyway, well done the Kuwaiti Ministry of the Interior - just what the region needs, another 20k weapons sloshing about.
  2. Hopefully someone will steal all the SA80's in the British Army.

That said, the bufoons in charge would just order another 200,000 of the *******.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I doubt we'd be so lucky - at least M-16's have some resale value - no-one would want a load of SA80!
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Impressed that "the entire contents of the warehouse" comprised "20,000 U.S.-origin M-16 assault rifles and 15,000 rounds for 9mm pistols". Surprised that arms and ammo are stored together, that there are more arms than ammo and that the latter don't fit the former.

Who was running the warehouse? RAOC? Time, I think, to FOFAD.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ah effendi...you are looking at this from a military perspective rather than that of a simple thief ( ' call me Gazeem' )

20,000 X say (street value of one-careful-owner M-16 in Banlieue Trieze $200) ...er...take one away, carry the nought...er $4M ?

Add in them pistolero bullets, meh, say 15,000 X (street value of spanking Yankee ammo for my nine here in downtown South Central ..uh...50 cents a round? ) coo, hang on ...uh... another $7, 500 ?

Tell you what squire - call it $3M for the gats and I'll throw the rounds in for your weekend's plinking.....

Ahem....do we have a deal? :plotting:
  6. Now that's what I call smart procurement! :)
    • Like Like x 3
  7. AlienFTM

No no no I am looking at it from a storeman's perspective. "If they were for issuing, it would say "Issues" on the door.
  8. Have they looked under the bed of one of "THEM". That seems to be the place "missing" (or "forgotten") middle east weapons appear.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Gats or ammo?

"[h=1]20,000 M-16 rifle rounds stolen from MoI warehouse[/h] KUWAIT: A security source said that 20,000 M-16 rifle rounds, and 15,000 9mm pistol rounds, along with an undetermined shooting ear protectors, and a printer were stolen from the shooting warehouse of the Minstry of Interior in Subbiya area. The source said three doors were broken and the entire content was removed, adding that there were no guards at the place according to the officer who informed about the theft. The officer did not accuse any one. Directors are investigating the matter."

10. This move has saved a **** ton of export paperwork to ship weapons to whichever terrorist group/arms-embargoed pariah state Kuwait has decided to sponsor.

Good drills.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Exactly. There's a fair few M4s knocking about Syria these days.
  12. Syrian rebels anyone?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 20,000 weapons and all that ammo isn't exactly someone with his mate turning up with a transit van in the middle of the night is it!

Surely, someone will come out of the woodwork and give the authorities a hint?
  14. AlienFTM

Makes more sense.
  15. Sounds unfeasible 20,000 gats? You'd need a ****ing train to pull that amount away.