2 thousand odd PMs

Boss Fellas, my homepage is showing that I have 65535 new messages though obviously I don't! I don't know if you've tweaked anything to do with PMs or if anyone else is seeing the same. It's not bothering me as I'm still getting the pop-up alerts when I do receive a new message but I thought I'd let you know.

DozyBint said:
Boss Fellas, my homepage is showing that I have 65535 new messages though obviously I don't! I don't know if you've tweaked anything to do with PMs or if anyone else is seeing the same. It's not bothering me as I'm still getting the pop-up alerts when I do receive a new message but I thought I'd let you know.
Do you think it's an April Fool? (Mine shows "0", btw)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dozy, check my' PM problems' thread further down. COs are aware of the issue.

Edit: Clicky.

Sixty said:
Dozy, check my' PM problems' thread further down. COs are aware of the issue.

Edit: Clicky.
Ah! I did a cursory check of the latest problems, but only the first page and that's from bleddy January! I'd had a PM-count problem - fixed at 1 - a while ago and that was sorted so I wondered if this was a new one.

whilst its on here mine has showed up as having one in the mail for ages

how can i fix it.

there are no stupid questions just stupid people... sorry for being a biff

easy-wan-kenobi said:
whilst its on here mine has showed up as having one in the mail for ages

how can i fix it.

there are no stupid questions just stupid people... sorry for being a biff
The COs worked some techie magic and it was fixed!

DozyBint said:
Exactly the same has happened has happened with mine, tonight.

64x1024=65536
0 to 65535 inclusive of 0 = 65536

Hmm, seems like a count variable's max field size value is being copied into the inbox count variable's object.value.

God I am a geek. :D

curryhead said:
64x1024=65536
0 to 65535 inclusive of 0 = 65536

Hmm, seems like a count variable's max field size value is being copied into the inbox count variable's object.value.

God I am a geek. :D
It's 65535 when I've one new message and 65534 when I've no new messages ...... if that bu99ers up your theory.

DozyBint said:
I have the same problem 65534 new messages showing. I should be sooooooooo lucky :wink:

The reason for this is really "simple" - the field in our database that tells us how many messages you've got is only allowed numbers from 0 to 65,535. Sometimes the site misses or double accounts when PMs are added or removed which means that you can get out of sync.

Thus if you had one new PM and the system decided to subtract 2 messages it would go .... ok 1 minus 1 = 0, then 0 minus 1 = 65,535.

Of course solving this problem is the tricky thing! We can do it for individuals (but its a v low priority) but not across the site ......

These should now all be fixed again. I will periodically do this as until the software is fixed it will happen again.

Good CO said:
These should now all be fixed again. I will periodically do this as until the software is fixed it will happen again.
Thank you, Good CO.

This is just silly:

User Info

Welcome Dale the snail

Inbox New: 65535
Are you tweaking again???

Sluggy xx

Praetorian said:
Don't worry about it Dale, it happens from time to time.

Let them tweak!
I thought Greengrass had fallen asleep on his keyboard and PM'd me the revolting stuff he was PMing in chat before.....

The horror, the horror :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well done Dale, thats quite some score for sexual conquests. I'm always on the lookout for an easy shag, but I doubt I'll ever hit four figures. 65535 is pretty impressive, does your gyny have to yodel so that you can hear him?

sandmanfez said:
Well done Dale, thats quite some score for sexual conquests. I'm always on the lookout for an easy shag, but I doubt I'll ever hit four figures. 65535 is pretty impressive, does your gyny have to yodel so that you can hear him?
We leave his boots on mate, attached to some rope, and give him grappling hooks. You never know what you will find in there. He has also got a walkie talkie that works up to 300 metres in case the search party can't find him. :wink: