2 Russian radio hooligans used RAF waves

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by KGB_resident, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.interfax.com/3/417035/news.aspx

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

You are really bored, aren't you! Is that today's offering? :roll:

"Secret Frequencies"?

Would that be like the one you use to talk to Mr Brezhnev?

There is an International agreement about the use of radio frequencies ... and some people are really stupid and ignore them. And if they're Russian frequencies, NATO will monitor them and only jam them when necessary.
  3. Did any of the Martians reply? If they did I'll bet it was in English :)
  4. Sending greetings to Martians? Everyday event on Radio Crab
  5. Must have used fricking powerful transmitters, and nothing built for amateur purposes. I suspect that they were simply mucking about on distress spot frequencies.

I also suspect that these people were not actually radio amateurs (the term has different connotations over here, as such people have to pass reasonably demanding technical competency examinations) but a couple of guys playing the fool on military surplus equipment.

The Russian Amateur Radio Union is a widely respected member of the WARC (world amateur radio conference) and Russia is a member if the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) therefore the use of frequencies reserved for aviation would have been strictly off limits, and a criminal offence. I suspect that the report of this is either incomplete or has been tailored to avoid it becoming an embarassment.

ps: Hope your dad is doing better now
  6. blue-sophist

Sorry ... is Sergey Brezhnev's son? I missed that.
  7. Or the standard of reporting in the Russian press is about the same ours. The use of such catch words as 'Secret' and 'Elite' when there are no real grounds for doing so really grips my sh1t.
  8. blue-sophist

Without either knowing [or actually caring] where these Russian tits were operating, I'm surprised that their transmitter was powerful enough to disturb the RAF anyway. Usually [in an orderly universe] frequency sharing involves separation of only a few hundred nautical miles.

Perhaps they can get Duracell batteries in Russia now?
  9. ..or the RAF are somewhere nearer.... hmmmmmm
  10. blue-sophist

we get everywhere ...
    be very afriad ...

BTW, just checked Google Earth ... it's miles from anywhere, several hundred km up the arrse of Russia and 900 km north of the Caspian Sea. I don't think so, Captain ...

11. 'Frolicked'? Now there's a word you don't hear too often in the NAAFI.
  12. blue-sophist

Dale has been known to frolick, IIRC, but she/he/it perhaps used a different word ... :lol:
  13. Frolicked or frau licked?

Looks like Russian news reports are about as inaccurate as our own
  14. blue-sophist

You think they're THAT good? :lol:

Sergey, where are you?
  15. No, not really.

Sergey's probably using an ultra powerful transmitter of his own to talk to aliens!