2 RTR full, KRH information?

Hey everyone, to cut a long story short I was wanting to join 2 RTR originally but have found out (just) they are overmanned and closing applications for 12 months which has messed me right up. I now have to choose another regiment as I really can't wait 12 months to get in the Army.

I have no clue if 1 RTR are full but I was told to look into the Kings Royal Hussars or the Royal Dragoon Guards but I have very little information on them and was wondering are they any good?

Also I was very interested in moving to the CBRN unit after a few years of service but is that possible from outside the RTR?

I would be joining as a Tank Crewman (MBT)

Cheers
Tom

I served with 2 RAC regiments. 2RTR from 2004-7 and Scots DGs twice. Having spoken with former 2RTR tankies who are now Scots DG cavalry, 2RTR has deteriated since its move from Fallingbostel to Tidworth. I highly recommend the Scots DGs - fast promotion, 'Stan in 2011, tax perks, great quality of life.

Thanks for that mate, I was wondering though what do you mean deteriated?

Oh and do you have any opinions on the KRH and Royal Dragoon Guards regiments?

Cheers
Tom

phil37 said:
I served with 2 RAC regiments. 2RTR from 2004-7 and Scots DGs twice. Having spoken with former 2RTR tankies who are now Scots DG cavalry, 2RTR has deteriated since its move from Fallingbostel to Tidworth. I highly recommend the Scots DGs - fast promotion, 'Stan in 2011, tax perks, great quality of life.
In what sense has 2RTR deteriorated? I'm another 2RTR hopefully and any info would be greatly helpful especially if it would speed up my recruitment time.

KRH very,very good.

Surfer_Smithy said:
phil37 said:
In what sense has 2RTR deteriorated? I'm another 2RTR hopefully and any info would be greatly helpful especially if it would speed up my recruitment time.
Hey mate, as said in the origional post 2 RTR is currently 23% overmanned so they have closed applications for 12 months....BUT if you have family serving in RTR then you may get blood priority, this wont work if family have served previous as my grandad was RTR and that didn'nt get me priority.

dooley said:
brownhat said:
KRH very,very good.
Thanks mate, have you had any experience with them or just word of mouth?

Tom
Spent a day with KRH at Tidworth a couple of years ago along with a few other ex.Cherrypickers,(11 Hussars).Can't tell you how impressed we all were with KRH.Since then a few KRH have been our guests at various reunions.(OK,I know,I am biased.)You won't be disappointed.Good luck,which ever way you choose to go.

brownhat said:
dooley said:
brownhat said:
KRH very,very good.
Thanks mate, have you had any experience with them or just word of mouth?

Tom
Spent a day with KRH at Tidworth a couple of years ago along with a few other ex.Cherrypickers,(11 Hussars).Can't tell you how impressed we all were with KRH.Since then a few KRH have been our guests at various reunions.(OK,I know,I am biased.)You won't be disappointed.Good luck,which ever way you choose to go.
Thanks alot for that mate, much aprishiated.

I served with both KRH and RDG in the late 90's. Both units were just like big, disfunctional families. KRH definitely had more than its fair share of nutters though.

skintboymike said:
I served with both KRH and RDG in the late 90's. Both units were just like big, disfunctional families. KRH definitely had more than its fair share of nutters though.
Hahaha sounds fun, when you say nutters do you mean the fun kind or the idiots who spoil all the fun.

Cheers
Tom

phil37 said:
So you had a completely un-biased opinion then.....................not! :x

elovabloke

ADC
phil37 said:
2RTR has deteriated
It appears that they have gone down hill so fast that they are over manned
and everyone is trying to get in. :?

Dooley said:
skintboymike said:
Hahaha sounds fun, when you say nutters do you mean the fun kind or the idiots who spoil all the fun.

Cheers
Tom
I mean the sort who regard eccentricity as a competitive sport.

1. KRH & RDG are Cavalry, so a no brainer there
2. RTR are MBT- have you thought about the 5 Formation Recce Regts with CVR(T) - more nipping around and hiding in bushes, which in my unabiased opinion (not) is much more fun.
3. Black coveralls do not suit everyones eyes/hair.

CavalryCaptain said:
1. KRH & RDG are Cavalry, so a no brainer there
2. RTR are MBT- have you thought about the 5 Formation Recce Regts with CVR(T) - more nipping around and hiding in bushes, which in my unabiased opinion (not) is much more fun.
3. Black coveralls do not suit everyones eyes/hair.
Nor does green............................TWWWWAAAAATTT! :D

I served with the 14/20 prior to them joining with the Royal Hussars = KRH. Then spent a year in the KRH. Twas an interesting time as the two sides learnt to live and fight together.

These days the Regt is one of the busiest on the block what with one thing and another. Just like any other, they have their fair share of personalities with one or two 'faces' who usually go on to hold an important office.

They are very big on 'Family' and you'd be pushed to find a tighter group of guys. Go for a visit or PM me and I'll pass on the number of the Regt'l Sec so you can have a chat etc.

MWA

Thanks for the info men!

A quick update: As said above 1 & 2 RTR are full and so are the RDG which I learnt yesterday from a phone call. KRH are still recruiting but have very few spots left as you can imagine.

But here is the spinner.....

I called up 1 RTR and also RDG's yesterday for a chat and both said although they are full they are getting more places open up April 2010. So I was told if I got my application started now around the time everything like the medical, selection have been completed it would be around April next year so its perfect timing. I have not got hold of 2 RTR again yet but I can imagine they are the same.

So looks like I now have 4 regiments to choose from again :? . But the only problem I can see if these regiments are overmanned so to speak not everyone will be able to get in on the action I.E have enough available tanks for all. Right?

Tom

According to the last DRAC/MS manning figures 2RTR was the only over-manned HCav/RAC regiment, will all the others undermanned to a greater or lesser extent.

Also while not everyone suits black coveralls, most people look daft in skin-tight bright red trousers!