2 RRF Petition - The response:

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Aug 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just received a response to my signing of the Save 2RRF petition a while ago (interestingly enough, they can't spell 'receive'!):

Dear Queensman,

The e-petition 'Do not disband 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers' signed by you recently reached 10,377 signatures and a response has been made to it.

As this e-petition has recieved more than 10, 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response: The Ministry of Defence can assure you that none of the decisions surrounding the withdrawals and mergers included in the Defence Secretary's Army 2020 announcement of 5 July 2012 were taken lightly but these decisions were made in the face of dire financial circumstances which this Government inherited from the last. There was a Backbench Business debate on this matter on 18 October 2012 and during this debate the rationale behind the decision to withdraw 2 RRF was covered extensively. The transcript of the debate is in the Official Report for 18 October 2012: Column 516. We will continue to implement Army 2020 as announced on 5 July 2012. We understand that this decision was very disappointing to members of the RRF, past and present, and those with connections to it, however, it was simply not possible to save every unit.

View the response to the e-petition

Thanks,

HM Government e-petitions HM Government e-petitions

• Like Like x 1
  2. And the response proves that raising & signing an e-petition is a complete waste of time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yep.

A transparent political tool only to be heeded if things go the way our lords and masters want them too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lip service

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not really, if they had saved 2RRF they would have had to bin a decent Regiment.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Alternatively it could be argued that, as 10,000 constitutes a miniscule minority of the electorate, the majority could be said to not be 'for' the proposal.

One of the few instances where 'majority has power of decision'.

Democracy in action, I'd say.

7. I'm guessing from your picture thingy that you aren't even in a regiment so are hardly well equipped to make observations of that nature; and to further prove your ignorance, they haven't binned a regiment, they've binned a battalion, but you probably don't know the difference.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Dinger's point does stand though, if they hadn't binned this lot, they'd just bin someone else.

At the end of the day it's just a name and a badge and it's not like the lads aren't being turfed onto the streets. They'll be moved into an identical job elsewhere, where they might wear a very slightly different badge on their hat.

That's the long and the short of it, the government's response to the petition is bang on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Time to bin all of this 'Regimental' palava?

[​IMG]

10. Sadly the only cases where a Petition is going to be anything more than a feel good/Look good factor for the Govt is if its about an issue with serious national opinion behind it and it provides a chance for the Govt to pull a U-Turn, agree with the petition and look like nice, considerate folk. Usually it comes to nowt.

Its a shame 2RRF is going as a relative of mine way back served with the RRF, however if it wasn't them losing a Battalion, it would have been another Regiment doing so.

Still, better to have at least tried than not.

11. I'm guessing your outrage at losing a Bn shows you know little of the modern British Army. It makes not a jot of difference to me whether its a Bn or Regiment and let's face it, it's one and the same when you've only got 1.

And if people want to be particularly hard faced, few Regiments that show clear distinction are binned.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Match to Mr Dingerrrrrrrrr!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. At the end of the day, will anybody outside any affiliation to 2 RRF really care? Good effort, but history has seen equally good units 'shelved' and to politicians, unless backing the petition gets them a vote, they don't truly care. At least you tried.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ah! Our Blanket Stacking chum has a pal of his own.

Outrage no. Sadness at a bizarre decision made entirely for political reasons, yes.

Please note: the Regiment hasn't been binned. It (and it is not my own) will live on through its Regular Bn, the Reserve Bn, the numerous Cadet formations and its strong Associations. I feel sorry for those who aren't/weren't Infantrymen and therefore never got to know what it means to belong to a truly worthy organisation, a 'family', something greater than just a 'cap badge' and heavens knows, who wouldn't be a sour-faced prole if they had to look themselves in the mirror every morning and spot an RLC cap badge in their headdress?

• Like Like x 4
  15. It's been reduced to 2 Bns... So When the 'Queens Div' goes 'Queen's Regt', it wont quite have the same punch as the PWRR and RAng.

The Cadets and Associations can just huff and puff... you know how it works.