2 PARA Lt Col Andy Harrison does it again...

This time he went after Terry.

BFBS.....

A Parachute Regiment CO who risked death by single-handedly tackling a team of Taliban bombers said he did no more than he would have expected from any of his paratroopers.

Two Para’s Lt Col Andy Harrison was struck by a grenade and gunfire after his convoy chanced upon the bombers in the act of planting a roadside device under cover of darkness near one of central Helmand’s main routes.

The decorated Para was first out of the vehicle and chased down the insurgents. To cover their escape the enemy threw a grenade and fired shots. A bullet struck his body armour chest plate while shrapnel wounded him in the face and thigh.

“I just had a bad morning and sometimes these things happen, but I’m fine,” he said in an exclusive interview with British Forces News.

Medevaced to Camp Bastion Hospital, the following day he discharged himself and returned to his patrol base, limping unaided from the helicopter, carrying his daysack and determined to return command. “I had a small operation and I’m back in the fray this morning.”

He denied doing anything exceptional: “I expect every one of my paratroopers to take the fight to the enemy.” “I’m like a thousand soldiers I work with. We think about doing our job every day and that’s what’s important.”

Determined to get himself dismembered, or, determined to show the utmost dedicated leadership from the front?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
This time he went after Terry.

BFBS.....

A Parachute Regiment CO who risked death by single-handedly tackling a team of Taliban bombers said he did no more than he would have expected from any of his paratroopers.

Two Para’s Lt Col Andy Harrison was struck by a grenade and gunfire after his convoy chanced upon the bombers in the act of planting a roadside device under cover of darkness near one of central Helmand’s main routes.

The decorated Para was first out of the vehicle and chased down the insurgents. To cover their escape the enemy threw a grenade and fired shots. A bullet struck his body armour chest plate while shrapnel wounded him in the face and thigh.

“I just had a bad morning and sometimes these things happen, but I’m fine,” he said in an exclusive interview with British Forces News.

Medevaced to Camp Bastion Hospital, the following day he discharged himself and returned to his patrol base, limping unaided from the helicopter, carrying his daysack and determined to return command. “I had a small operation and I’m back in the fray this morning.”

He denied doing anything exceptional: “I expect every one of my paratroopers to take the fight to the enemy.” “I’m like a thousand soldiers I work with. We think about doing our job every day and that’s what’s important.”

Determined to get himself dismembered, or, determined to show the utmost dedicated leadership from the front?
Fecking Nails well done Sir!! keep it up.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I just had a bad morning
So, did he chase after terry because he had had a bad day, and was up for a scrap, or was getting injured the "Bad day"

Either way, inspiring:)

He doesn't **** about does he? Good work boss!

So was his body armout hit by an RPG or a bullet?

I don't doubt thisis true, but it begs a few questions.

SS you can just imagine The RSM thinking FFs screw the nut Sir!!!
Haha, I'm sure he's causing a few headaches further up the ladder. "I say, Andys bloody at it again"

His lads must bloody love him though.

Show Off....:eye:

There is a history of military media whoring. I hope it doesn't apply to this person as it always ends in tears.

There is a history of military media whoring. I hope it doesn't apply to this person as it always ends in tears.
'
'I had a bad morning' doesn't smack of grandstanding to the media.

Cheerful in here today!

I do not know colonel Andy but I suspect he is not a "military media whore". However I do know a lot of the media and they would be all over this sort of story like tramps on chips! It has got a wounded senior officer. So cue debates about whether officers should be doing this sort of thing or not, chuck in some H Jones bullshit either lauding or disparaging his memory according to taste. It has a PARA Reg element, which again allows the "our Falklands heroes" line to be trotted out, fill up some column inches with references to Arnhem or extreme phys. This can be redressed later by criticising the mindless thugs of the PARA Reg after a fight outside a pub of course.

Frankly it is a media "gimme" as a story and allows the journos to have a quiet rather than a bad day at the office.

Cheerful in here today!

I do not know colonel Andy but I suspect he is not a "military media whore". However I do know a lot of the media and they would be all over this sort of story like tramps on chips! It has got a wounded senior officer. So cue debates about whether officers should be doing this sort of thing or not, chuck in some H Jones bullshit either lauding or disparaging his memory according to taste. It has a PARA Reg element, which again allows the "our Falklands heroes" line to be trotted out, fill up some column inches with references to Arnhem or extreme phys. This can be redressed later by criticising the mindless thugs of the PARA Reg after a fight outside a pub of course.

Frankly it is a media "gimme" as a story and allows the journos to have a quiet rather than a bad day at the office.
Who gives a monkeys for the media. You can't choose what unfolds infront of you and to be honest, for a front line soldier, whatever their rank, what happened by chance in front of this convoy was a fricking dream.

Top job Boss..

'
'I had a bad morning' doesn't smack of grandstanding to the media.
Now I have had two bad mornings and another mixed dress photo opportunity might though.

As he is the only British Officer in theater I do understand though and the only person ever to be involved in every contact that takes place it is clear why the media is focussing on this individual.

The other 9,999 are obviously enjoying kebab and chips in Bastion.

Who gives a monkeys for the media. You can't choose what unfolds infront of you and to be honest, for a front line soldier, whatever their rank, what happened by chance in front of this convoy was a fricking dream.

Top job Boss..
Exactly my point. He did his job. The jackals of the fourth Estate must have thought it was Christmas, ?Easter and the mum-in-law's birthday all come together. For the press a figure like CO 2 PARA is a delight. He is everything the usual round of celbrities and ne'erdowells they usually cobble something together about are not!

There is a danger of course, that you get a charismatic figure and he lucks into the eye of media attention but forgets it is luck. Then he starts to believe his own press and eventually ends up courting the atttention. Two classic examples were Bob Stewart and Mad Mitch...

Latest Threads