Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 PARA in 1984

Feel free to give another like for the first Mrs doing a bunk.

Back on track though, Montgomery Lines was a shithole. The architect who designed and built it went to prison for his dodgy dealings.
Just about the whole of Aldershot was built by the pikey cunt, the way I heard it was, he wss applauded for being under budget and under the time given to build all the barracks. Then six months later everything went tits ups.
Luckily the MOD has learnt since then and doesn't just blindly sign contracts with civvie firms that just want to rip them off...

Just about the whole of Aldershot was built by the pikey ****, the way I heard it was, he wss applauded for being under budget and under the time given to build all the barracks. Then six months later everything went tits ups.
Luckily the MOD has learnt since then and doesn't just blindly sign contracts with civvie firms that just want to rip them off...
I wonder if Poulson also designed the Willems park flats. 1960s Soviet Union accommodation , built around the time of Monty Lines.

Did 1 Para go to Aldershot in about 87 after Bulford? I think they remained there on and off before leaving for Dover in 2000. I think in the 90s they were based in New Normandy barracks by the dental centre?
New Normandy Barracks must have been luxury compared to Monty Lines !
Also I’m assuming there was never a time when all three battalions were in Aldershot at the same time?

Rooper

War Hero
Did 1 Para go to Aldershot in about 87 after Bulford? I think they remained there on and off before leaving for Dover in 2000. I think in the 90s they were based in New Normandy barracks by the dental centre?
New Normandy Barracks must have been luxury compared to Monty Lines !
Also I’m assuming there was never a time when all three battalions were in Aldershot at the same time?
1 PARA returned to Dover in 87 when 2 PARA departed for 2 years in Ternhill. They stayed there until 91 when they did a RiP with 3 PARA in Belfast.

Oyibo

LE
I wonder if Poulson also designed the Willems park flats. 1960s Soviet Union accommodation , built around the time of Monty Lines.

Willems Park was effing awful. I had a light reprieve by getting my first MQ in Salamanca Park (not exactly salubrious, but the Ritz compared with Willems).

Willems Park was effing awful. I had a light reprieve by getting my first MQ in Salamanca Park (not exactly salubrious, but the Ritz compared with Willems).

I was in Talavera park, nice little maisonette. First quarter was in Napier Square in North Camp - shite.

Oyibo

LE
I was in Talavera park, nice little maisonette. First quarter was in Napier Square in North Camp - shite.

Presumably before they redeveloped Talavera into new-builds?

Presumably before they redeveloped Talavera into new-builds?

Yep 75-78. Really nice pads. Our home town and extended family were not too far away so spent most weekends away from the Shot. Didn’t find out until I’d been posted to AAC that at weekends that our block was the heart of the wife swapping scene!

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
Yep 75-78

They made some cracking new MQs on the site in the late '80s early '90s. My second MQ was in a similar house in Goose Green Estate - Past the Rat Pit, hang a left.

It wasn't all bad - you had 'Turner's Tuck-in' just around the corner. They did the Satan's Sizzlers sausage and chips.

I was based in Aldershot 86-88, I slept through the infamous "Michael Fish hurricane" the single accommodation was being renovated at the time, the winds damaged the building big time and felled a number of mature trees around the garrison. I also remember the RMP raid on Montgomery Lines after a number of robberies in SE England where the suspects were dressed in jeans, maroon sweatshirts, DBs and balaclavas.

Incorrect - 2 PARA took over from 1 PARA as the Belfast Resident Bn in Palace Bks 93-95 and then moved back to the Bde in Aldershot in 95 at which point 3 PARA moved to Dover and the AMF(L) role.
They provided us other residents there (Palace and W Belfast) with much amusement. They also had some of the best Int sections at Bn/Coy level that I ever dealt with, who were always welcome for some R&R in pubs and restaurants in the more civil parts of Co Down, although I always got to pay. Well, the taxpayer did, I suppose.

Oyibo

LE
I was based in Aldershot 86-88, I slept through the infamous "Michael Fish hurricane" the single accommodation was being renovated at the time, the winds damaged the building big time and felled a number of mature trees around the garrison. I also remember the RMP raid on Montgomery Lines after a number of robberies in SE England where the suspects were dressed in jeans, maroon sweatshirts, DBs and balaclavas.

My bold...

Blatant regimental stereotyping.

Oyibo

LE
They provided us other residents there (Palace and W Belfast) with much amusement. They also had some of the best Int sections at Bn/Coy level that I ever dealt with, who were always welcome for some R&R in pubs and restaurants in the more civil parts of Co Down, although I always got to pay. Well, the taxpayer did, I suppose.

Quite a few 1 PARA Int stayed on to be with 2 PARA in BRB - They were very knowledgeable indeed.

1 PARA returned to Dover in 87 when 2 PARA departed for 2 years in Ternhill. They stayed there until 91 when they did a RiP with 3 PARA in Belfast.
Oh so 1 para weren’t really based in the shot during the 80s then?..
Were 3 para in NI from 89-91? The Clegg incident was 1990.

Latest Threads