Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 PARA in 1984

Feel free to give another like for the first Mrs doing a bunk.

Back on track though, Montgomery Lines was a shithole. The architect who designed and built it went to prison for his dodgy dealings.

I think you do Mr Poulson an injustice. When did you ever live in barracks, before or since, that were so well ventilated?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
2 Para did a tour of Northern Ireland in late 84 but otherwise based in Montgomery Lines, Aldershot. I know that because I was a very young pad brat!
What was the reason for the original question OP?
As for Browning Barracks, I spent a weekend there once in Frost block. Two nights there was enough!

Last edited:
That's incorrect; 2 PARA were in Bruneval Barracks (part of Montgomery Lines) from 1981 to 87 when they then moved to Ternhill. 3 PARA were alongside in Normandy Barracks.

Indeed, 2 Para returned from Ternhill in 89 and remained there for a further decade or so.

Rooper

War Hero
Indeed, 2 Para returned from Ternhill in 89 and remained there for a further decade or so.
Incorrect - 2 PARA took over from 1 PARA as the Belfast Resident Bn in Palace Bks 93-95 and then moved back to the Bde in Aldershot in 95 at which point 3 PARA moved to Dover and the AMF(L) role.

I think you do Mr Poulson an injustice. When did you ever live in barracks, before or since, that were so well ventilated?
didn't know Poulson was involved in Govt projects, I thought his claim to fame was with T Dan Smith from Newcastle, who incidentally made the mistake of asking my father to put in some dodgy valuations for him, he was literally thrown out of my old man's office and kicked down the stairs before being thrown into the street.

Incorrect - 2 PARA took over from 1 PARA as the Belfast Resident Bn in Palace Bks 93-95 and then moved back to the Bde in Aldershot in 95 at which point 3 PARA moved to Dover and the AMF(L) role.

Yes, forgot they did a 2 year NI stint in that time. Still, Aldershot was the “home” of the battalion until 2000.

Tuffty

War Hero
Didnt 2 Para do a tour of Belize in 84, i was there and i am sure they were there as well, but it might have been 83 ?

According to British Army units from 1945 which can be found here, 2 Para were at Aldershot in Mons Barracks during 1984 and had been since returning from a two-year tour in Ireland in 1981. They moved to Bruneval Barracks in 1985.

Not a great reference site, it has 3PARA in Normandy Bks in the 70’s but they were actually in Bruneval.

JAD

LE
I recall having driven a GS Robert Redford to Bulford on some meaningless QM stores based jif, sometime in '85 or possibly early 86 and having to hunker down in PARA transit accommodation for a week. It was like a corridor or bunk scene from Scum with me and all the other assembled low life sh!tting ourselves as the block Daddy came calling to inspect our billet each morning at 7am. Breakfast was not assured until the screw was satisfied the drum looked liked it was ready for a HRH visit. It took until mid week for the penny to drop with me that a "packet of fags for the Corporal" and a light for the same allowed a room to pass muster and a somewhat safe passage to the hot plate and beyond. A desert welly styled kicking in Stickies Amesbury on Thursday night for being a hat was still a 50:50 unfortunately. Anyhow, I don't recall which PARA Btn. was in Bulford mid '80's but I was happy to keep my head down at the time and not ask any questions.

I recall having driven a GS Robert Redford to Bulford on some meaningless QM stores based jif, sometime in '85 or possibly early 86 and having to hunker down in PARA transit accommodation for a week. It was like a corridor or bunk scene from Scum with me and all the other assembled low life sh!tting ourselves as the block Daddy came calling to inspect our billet each morning at 7am. Breakfast was not assured until the screw was satisfied the drum looked liked it was ready for a HRH visit. It took until mid week for the penny to drop with me that a "packet of fags for the Corporal" and a light for the same allowed a room to pass muster and a somewhat safe passage to the hot plate and beyond. A desert welly styled kicking in Stickies Amesbury on Thursday night for being a hat was still a 50:50 unfortunately. Anyhow, I don't recall which PARA Btn. was in Bulford mid '80's but I was happy to keep my head down at the time and not ask any questions.
It was 1 Para commanded by the Prince of Darkness. They moved there in 1983 for a four year tour of duty with the AMF in the Arctic warfare role. Prior to that they were on public duties in Edinburgh for two years from 1981-83.

JAD

LE
It was 1 Para commanded by the Prince of Darkness. They moved there in 1983 for a four year tour of duty with the AMF in the Arctic warfare role. Prior to that they were on public duties in Edinburgh for two years from 1981-83.
Ward/Wing Bks?

exspy

LE
It was 1 Para commanded by the Prince of Darkness. Prior to that they were on public duties in Edinburgh for two years from 1981-83.

They missed the Falklands because they were on public duties?