2 (NC) Sig Bde FAS

Has anyone else heard that we are to be issued Black coveralls (like the police), as C95 would be too offensive to civilians when we go on (UK) ops.

And here is your new vehicle:

^ I heard this a couple of weeks ago. Re-painting the vehicles as well. Black I believe.

There were those blokes years back that had overalls and blue landrovers. More of the same?

devilish said:
^ I heard this a couple of weeks ago. Re-painting the vehicles as well. Black I believe.
Yep also heard the same, its bonkers. People join to be soldiers, not be a Part Time extension of BT. I quite like the role but not this demilitarising thats going on.

I was told it was to do with the fact that civvies get a little worried when a big green SCP is parked outside their local nick.

Apparently, way back in the day, our unit used to wear blue coveralls and the rebros were painted blue with "CB radio users club" stenciled on the sides!

Outstanding said:
Excuse ignorance - whats the NC for?
At the risk of a Wah...... National Communications

and the CCRF will be getting disguises, so noone recognises them (glasses, big nose and moustaches)

Outstanding said:
Excuse ignorance - whats the NC for?
Is this a *WAH*?? National Communications maybe??

I read an article way back before Crimbo that this was going to be the case, saw a pic.

The article explained it was to appear menacing whilst un-offensive??? Er okay!?

Cavalier said:
Outstanding said:
I read an article way back before Crimbo that this was going to be the case, saw a pic.

The article explained it was to appear menacing whilst un-offensive??? Er okay!?
Absolute rubbish.

As others have already stated the proposal to wear Black/Blue coveralls is entirely down to the Bde's role in support of the police or other agencies. EOD and other parts of the MOD who support these types of organisation already adopt this type of posture when requested to do so. Remember that 2 (NC) Sig Bde is not there primarily to do war fighting - it's primary existance is to provide the national communications infrastructure to support any military units tasks to help the Police, Fire Brigade etc when they are unable to cope and request MOD's assistance. At times this support means being located at Police stations or other sensitive locations where it may not be right to advertise our pressence.

devilish said:
I was told it was to do with the fact that civvies get a little worried when a big green SCP is parked outside their local nick.

Apparently, way back in the day, our unit used to wear blue coveralls and the rebros were painted blue with "CB radio users club" stenciled on the sides!
Gawd knows what 101 Engr Regt do with their green fleet marked "ROYAL ENGINEERS BOMB DISPOSAL" when they do their London exercises nowadays then. Used to get a few worried looks back before the current climate.

Mercedis said:
There were those blokes years back that had overalls and blue landrovers. More of the same?
Mine was Cream and Blue, then gloss Bronze Green all over. We used to wear jeans and sweat shirts, then again the SMG's gave us away. I often said we should have been issued shotguns instead and barbour jackets we would have been mistaken for farmers and farm workers then instead of " the army lads who work the telephone mast"! Mind you we always got food from the farmers wives :wink:

The RTR will be pleased :roll:

Do you get Hi Vis jackets with "Community Signals Officer " or is that too overt.

Hearing some strange things from 2 Sigs types - all very Secret Squirrel but one of the more bizzare things is the role of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry http://www.fany.org.uk/ in 2 (NC) Sigs Orbat.

Seems the FANY ( a registered charity) is putting a team in for the Courage Trophy, sponsored by 2 (NC) Sigs ! Now I always viewed the FANY as a bunch of nice middle class gals with a collective weight problem, whose role was to answer telephones during times of emergency, but I was wrong.

The FANY are now Special Forces! At least according to them. I have been informed that they are refering to "competing against other units in the TA ...." when not training in their SOE role!

Can someone explain if the FANY are TA, on the orbat, unicom etc. Are they really being allowed to carry and fire the SA80?

If so, why would a "registered charity" be trained in weapons and no doubt pass their WHTs before being allowed to compete against "other TA units"

Is 2 (NC) Sig Bde Comd seriously training 100s of nice gals called Arabella and Buffy as Special Forces ?

If so, can boys join too :lol:

Hootch said:
Is 2 (NC) Sig Bde Comd seriously training 100s of nice gals called Arabella and Buffy as Special Forces ?
I thought you were extracting the urine, but I looked at the page and there is somebody called Buffy in one of the photos on the News page. Do you think the FANYs slay many vampires?

Fair play to them for entering the Courage Trophy though.

I was taking the urine, OMG

So Green_Manalishi are you OK with unqualifed civies firing live ammo on a March & Shoot ? What happens when one of the FANY has an ND? Can they be charged?

Hootch said:
I was taking the urine, OMG

So Green_Manalishi are you OK with unqualifed civies firing live ammo on a March & Shoot ? What happens when one of the FANY has an ND? Can they be charged?
Well from what it says on the page they're not civies. There's pictures of them firing on ranges, and they have pictures of them in uniform too (including a bizarre mess dress). Go to the main page and there's plenty of photos of them in uniform. In addition to this, they're based at a TA centre.

They don't really advertise themselves as being TA though, I agree.