2 More USMC KIA in Afghan--A very bad week-- 7 KIA so far

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, May 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Donald J. Lamar II, 23, of Fredericksburg, Va., died May 12 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Sgt. Joshua D. Desforges, 23, of Ludlow, Mass., died May 12 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

2. I picked this up as a result of another thread and then I realised that sadly I hadn't seen JJH about recently.

Then I remembered it was Armistice Day, and then I remembered that in a previous life I was invited by 1 MEF to be present at the repatriation back to the US of these two brave young men on that day.

It was very moving - informal by our standards but still extraordinary - by chance a 3 MAW Huey pair took off during that parade, off on a mission, and the pilot and door gunner both saluted as they flew past a hundred feet away. If you'd said that to me before that tour I'd have said 'typical Americans, very Top Gun' - when I saw it I had to swallow very hard indeed.

Anyway, this has brought it all back in a bit of a rush - 65 UK repatriations during my tour, I have no idea how many US Marines (to my eternal shame) and sadly, countless Afghans. I went to every single one's repatriation, as did many others. There was a good piece on R4 'PM' today about what Remembrance meant to different people and who they thought about during the 2 minute silence.

My thoughts were with some friends that lost their lives either KIA or in service plus all the chaps I mentioned above. Barely a thought about WW1 or WW2 despite huge family involvement and loss - sign of the times.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Mate it feels wrong to like your post so if we ever bump into each other, I'll buy you a pint.

• Like Like x 1