2 minute silence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by green_slime, May 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilsy I do feel sorry for those who were caught up in the events of the July 7 bombing,I do think that a 2 minute silence is extreme. They did not lay down their lives as those who served in the Wars did.

Where has this ridiculous sense of the need to grieve come from? Or is it just the gov't trying to remind us how much we need them?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4989336.stm

2. its the govt trying to make us forget that it may have been their fault.

3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Tessa jowell's announcement.

So, we are to have another 2 minute silence.

I firmly believe that this is wrong and is another case of "St Diana Syndrome"

(Can we merge these topics, please?)

4. Totally agree, what happened to the stiff upper lip and getting on with life. :eek:

5. Whilst the events on 7 July were obviously terrible they have not affected the country as a whole. Compare 1 day with all conflicts and those who died in them; for which we have a 2 minute silence and it suddenly looks cheap. Yes remember those who died, have a remembrance service for friends, families and all others who want to openly pour out their grief. At what point does it stop - do you qualify to be remembered with a 2 minute silence if you die in a situation that kills more than 52 people, what happens if it's only 51 who die! I'm being a cynic but there is too much handwringing and guilt mongering going on in modern Britain. The true Brit remembers quietly and gets on with life, in the same way that Londoners did on the 8 July!

6. We don't have a 2 minute silence for Lockerbie, Zeebruge, the tube fire, Hillsborough and all the other disasters that have killed people in this country. Why should 7/7 be any different?

7. How so?

8. Indeed. Grieving is the new black.

9. I really take exception to this type of bollox. As a nation we are pandering to the soft whinging leftie poofs that used to get a kicking during breaktime (but now run the Country), what the fcuk has happened to the Dunkirk Spirit, Stiff upper lip and general sense of purpose this Country and Her people once had?

This act demonstrates more then the dead have, that the public is still attentive to the terrorist message, for they are still making the news.

10. How about a 2 min silence for the 111 servicemen and women who lost their lives fighting in and working for a safer Iraq?

Oh, i forgot, they are not a high priority for the government who sent them there!

PS, i am aware that is what rememberance day is for

11. Does she really think that by dabbling in the waters of the nations emotions, she'll manage to steer to spotlight away from her Criminal husband, Mr Prescotts wrong doing, money for peerages, countless alien murderers/rapists/robbers running free the length and breadth of the land, and all the other evil, dishonest and self serving actions of her, her party, her leader and the rest of 'their' dodgy group of hangers-on?

Fcuk a two minutes silence - let the families go to church/mosque/temple/pub/graveyard and get on with the dreadful grieving process on their own. Whilst sorry for them, I'll be more sorry if the Bliar Broadcasting Cnuts turn the whole thing into a media charade of public snivelling and tear wiping!

There should only be ONE national remembrance - and that on the 11th of the 11th, or its closest Sunday.

12. I thought I'd be something of a voice in the darkness on this, but am delighted to see that I am not.
    This is yet another cheapening of the concept of remberance; Cos' cheapening is what surely happens when we break it down into penny packets.
    Take football for example. It seems that every week at least one premiership side is having a "silence" of some description foisted on supporters and viewers.
    We already have an annual two minute silence for the British and Commonwealth victims of war. if we don't think that terrorism is an act of war, what is it?
    Feel better now...

13. It seems we are as one on this.

Is there anyone out there who thinks it's a good idea?

14. The loss of a loved one is a personal tragedy and when coupled with an attack against a state, it is a sobering event, BUT I don't agree that it should become the focus of national mourning. Not only does the manufacturing of mass grief demean the emotions of those that the bombings actually affected but it demeans the memories of those killed by attacks against state and society (e.g. those perpetrated by the various incarnations of the IRA) who weren't extended the same public courtesy.

The silences on Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday were and are apt because most of the people of the United Kingdom were / are personally mourning loved ones - the World Wars are part of our national memory and significantly affected the development of our country. With all due respect to those who died in the July 2005 bombings, there was no more real concern than when a train derails and significantly less than the public reaction to the Kings Cross fire.

15. Just as I asked for the two threads to be merged, they were! My word, these Mods are quick.