2 mins of pressups...in one set?

hi all, i'm off to my local Sigs Tuesday for a look around, I am 42 and i can easily bang out 2 sets of 25 in 2 mins with a 15 sec break but does the fitness test have to be done in 1 set? in which case i can only manage about 35 at the moment.

Its perfectly acceptable to do how ever many reps you want within two minutes.

Now you can even get up and do the hokey cokey between press ups if you feel inclined to do so.

Providing the hokey cokey doesn't mean lifting your palms and knees from the mat then you'll be OK. :wink: 2 x 25 is a good score for 42. Maybe try 15, rest, 15 rest and so on, you'll probably attain 60 press ups.

frenchie said:
You are now allowed to get up, shake your arms off, legs, whatever you want. There is no rest position anymore.
I'm out now and didn't know that. It does make sense however. I'm off to try best effort in 2 mins now.

What I would suggest is doing them under pressured circumstances - ie after a best effort 1.5 mile run and the sit-ups.

Hi Mate

The press ups are your best effort in 2 minutes...

I think you have to do at least 60 in that time... do 30, rest and then do another 30 you should have more than enough time. You will also have to do approx 60 sit ups in the same amount of time. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck...

I do 20, 15, 10, 5 (= 50) and then keep doing 5's untill the time is up this makes the target more achievable as you go along giving you less of a target on each set.

tommyhutch said:
short and squat 14 stone or tall and lanky 14 stone?

I'm 17 stone with spagetti for arms so usually make sure I've got a mate counting for me :oops:
So you're a cheating twat then?

Praetorian said:
tommyhutch said:
short and squat 14 stone or tall and lanky 14 stone?

I'm 17 stone with spagetti for arms so usually make sure I've got a mate counting for me :oops:
So you're a cheating twat then?
He should avoid RTMC then. This year the DS were enforcing full press ups and sit ups, took a lot of people by surprise. The lad next to me managed 3 or 4 proper press ups under the watchful eye of the DS!

Wonder what he does his PFT in?

It always amazes me when PFT scores roll in with "Press Ups 46, Sit Ups 50, Run 15:01". Cheating cunts. IMHO if cheating is found then you should fail as well as the man you're cheating for.

Failed the PFT as well. Funny thing is I saw him later on in theatre, taken at risk I guess.

Its such a cliche but you are only cheating yourself and thats not exactly a challenge, its not as if your going to lose.

Please can someone confirm if the sit ups and press ups are pass/fail?

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Praetorian said:
Wonder what he does his PFT in?

It always amazes me when PFT scores roll in with "Press Ups 46, Sit Ups 50, Run 15:01". Cheating cunts. IMHO if cheating is found then you should fail as well as the man you're cheating for.
To be fair a lot of people stop at the point they know that they need to pass in order to save themselves for the run. Though if you're getting a pass on the press ups and sit ups, you're more than likely to be in the green for the run (or damn near it).

tommyhutch said:
Yes, but since when were press ups a pre-requisite for being able to do your job well?
Well I suppose that would depend on what your job is mate. If your job is a soldier then yeah, I'd say it's a pre-requisite for doing your job well.