2 miler

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to improve my 2 miler time but can’t seem to knock anything off it. I’ve tried a few different methods over the years including running a 2 miler every second day, pacing, non weighted short and long distance runs but I just can’t seem to knock any time off what I get (usually around the 18:30 mark). Just wondering how other people have trained to improve their times. I’m mid thirties and I’m almost at the stage of admitting defeat but that isn’t really an option in my eyes.

I know it’s a balls out effort but even trying to go hell for leather for as long as possible doesn’t seem to help me

Cheers in advance for any advice

Run faster, that'll get your time down..................;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. In all seriousness have a look at fartlek training, also called interval training. We have mentioned it on here before and there are a few posts. There is also plenty to find online if you google.

Here is a snippet I posted previously:

When I was working on getting my time down I read up on Fartlek training and adapted it to my need's. I used to go out and gently run a couple of miles to get everything moving and warmed up. Then I had a dual carriageway for a couple of miles with lamposts about every 100 metres that I ran along. The Fartlek/interval part was to sprint from one lamp post to the next, then jog from that lampost to the next, then sprint again, alternating all the way - eventually I used to sprint for 2 lampost distances then jog for one. It builds your cardio and gets the body used to sprinting and moving faster. Then I used to gently run back the last two miles but, sprint in the last half a mile to impress everyone with my speed and manliness.

For a bit more of a read ===> https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/need-tips-to-improve-runtimes.295631/#post-9556199

It is all about building cardio so that it does not feel like someone is trying to rip your lungs out with barbed wire. And, you cannot train for doing 2 miles quickly by doing 2 miles, do more and then the lesser distance will feel like a doddle.

Good luck.

Edit to add: Don't run with weight. You'll phuq up your spine.

Last edited:
Who still does ‘two milers’? I thought it was all RFTs these days?

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to improve my 2 miler time but can’t seem to knock anything off it. I’ve tried a few different methods over the years including running a 2 miler every second day, pacing, non weighted short and long distance runs but I just can’t seem to knock any time off what I get (usually around the 18:30 mark). Just wondering how other people have trained to improve their times. I’m mid thirties and I’m almost at the stage of admitting defeat but that isn’t really an option in my eyes.

I know it’s a balls out effort but even trying to go hell for leather for as long as possible doesn’t seem to help me

A few questions.
Why are you doing 2 miles? (Are you doing the old PFT of half a mile warm up and 1.5 mile best effort?).
Are you a bloke or a bird? (Not a chat up line).
Whats your weight and height?
What time do you want?

My bold
That is utterly shit advice and usually given by people who can run quite fast for short periods of time, there is no point in thrashing yourself for the first 600 metres if you are going to be breathing out of your arse for the remaining distance.

Hi all,

Perhaps finding a partner to train with might help. Someone with a little more pace than you that you'll need to keep into.

Or try running on a proper running track and sprinting the straights.

Download an interval training app such as jogrunsprint.

Are you only running the two miles, or do you run longer distances too?

My pft was a 3000m for a few years, I found that running longer distances (usually 5-8 or 9km) really helped me get my time down on the 3000m.

The odd bit of fartlek won't hurt either, but try not to do it too often (maybe once a week or so).

Latest Threads