2* Loses his BlackBerry in China

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mysteron, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Clicky here: Click to Read

So remove the sensationalism out of it.

MoD makes a statement that they don't think a 2* General in China will not merit interest from State Security and espionage. Hmmmmmmm.

MoD also says (in a seperate article I can't find now) that it wants an encrypted handheld blackberry device as part of the ISS suite of comms. Hmmmmmm.

Who are they trying to kid and is the 2* going to get some political re-education?

Tinfoil hat on me thinks.

2. Security isn't a dirty word Blackadder.................

3. msr

msr LE

4. Of course the Chinese agents respected the fact Maj Gen Berragan was in his own time :roll: .

5. "Maj Gen Berragan will have had access and briefing papers on a myriad of secret defence subjects," a security source told the Sun newspaper. "

Thats nice - shame that you can't put secret information on a blackberry really isnt it!

6. mysteron

Jim30 - you obviously missed my point about the MoD publicly stated requirement for a secure mobile device such as a BlackBerry and I am sure that our Chinese opposite numbers would not have failed to notice - perhaps they we having a look on us to check progress.

Don't always be so quick to defend our own. We need to celebrate success and call out our failures.

7. msr

msr LE

Please define "can't".

msr

8. Why?

9. I see your ipod Mahmoud... and laise you a Brackbelly!

10. To the best of my knowledge (and I'm almost certainly setting myself up for a fall here!) the Blackberry is only cleared to restricted.

11. msr

msr LE

So you "can" put secret stuff on it, it is just against the rules...

12. The tabloid media treat everything that may or may not have been protectively marked, from UNCLASS upwards as secrets.

And hands up who hasn't sent material to a personal, or commercial, email address that shouldn't have been allowed out of the GSi?

If it was a personal blackberry then the risk is probably low, but it's still there.

Probably more significant is, if it is a personal device what information can be extracted from it that might give an opening to him.

13. mysteron

CFW - Correctamundo!!

My point exactly.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Probably a lot less than can be got from an open source trawl of the internet. If the Chinese Int boys wanted to find out what was on his mobile phone they could probably have hacked it - and then he would never have known. They could also hack his private eMail accounts.

15. Are MOD Blackberries configured with Content Protection (256 bit encryption)?