2 Gurkha's Killed in Afghanistan

RIP guys.

I don't envy the next gang of Terry that contacts the Bn they will be for the chop.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Article makes the point (rather quietly) that we mustn't appear to withdraw of our own volition, we must be seen to be forced out by 'victorious' locals. Like Aden. What a waste.

RIP boys.

Damn cowardly mother****ing underhanded sneaky ungentlemanly bastard Taliban cnuts!

I don't understand this 'Green on Blue' classification, and I don't think it helps describe what is going on. It gives the impression that 'Green' forces, ie those representing the Afghan state, are turning round and killing 'Blue' force members, implying a murderous rift between the two where none actually exists. If a Talib joins the ANA or whatever under false pretences with the intention of causing havoc then he isn't 'Green' then, is he? And equally, if a previously loyal policeman returns from leave as a sudden convert to the terrorists' side then he's no longer 'Green' either. If a Talib dressed as a US soldier brassed up a British checkpoint no-one would describe it as a Blue on Blue. If the attacker is pro Talib then it's plain old terrorism/enemy action, and if it's for personal reasons because someone has abused his goat then it's murder. I just don't think it helps.

I don't understand this 'Green on Blue' classification, and I don't think it helps describe what is going on. It gives the impression that 'Green' forces, ie those representing the Afghan state, are turning round and killing 'Blue' force members, implying a murderous rift between the two where none actually exists. If a Talib joins the ANA or whatever under false pretences with the intention of causing havoc then he isn't 'Green' then, is he? And equally, if a previously loyal policeman returns from leave as a sudden convert to the terrorists' side then he's no longer 'Green' either. If a Talib dressed as a US soldier brassed up a British checkpoint no-one would describe it as a Blue on Blue. If the attacker is pro Talib then it's plain old terrorism/enemy action, and if it's for personal reasons because someone has abused his goat then it's murder. I just don't think it helps.
I agree. Will you explain that to the media or shall I?

..and some people think we should get rid of the RGR because they "are a burden". Hmmmmm...perhaps they should think again.

Ayo Gurkhali!!!

which is why its being 'rebranded' as 'the insider threat'

That'll help.

Lots.

I'm stumped, however, as to what it will help with.

Sure as shooting it won't help the families of these two.

That was no way to go.
to be fair, its more than rebranding...its being treated as seriously as IED threat was 5 yrs ago and it is no longer acceptable to refer to this as just another GoB incident.

to be fair, its more than rebranding...its being treated as seriously as IED threat was 5 yrs ago and it is no longer acceptable to refer to this as just another GoB incident.
I am curious. In the Brit AO:

When was the first of these incidents?
How many have occurred?
With what frequency?

The Press picks these incidents up, toys with them for 24 hours, then walks away.

Why would they care (as long as they sell a few more papers)?

But I genuinely do not know how serious (let alone how endemic) is this problem, let alone whether it is on the increase.

How many have occurred?
With what frequency?

The Press picks these incidents up, toys with them for 24 hours, then walks away.

But I genuinely do not know how serious (let alone how endemic) is this problem, let alone whether it is on the increase.
If you read this list, it gives you the causes of all British deaths.

BBC News - UK military deaths in Afghanistan: Full list

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

How many have occurred?
With what frequency?

I have twice posted a link on Arrse to the study undertaken by a US Army Phd half colonel on the 'Green on Blue' issue. DoD tried to get it classified after it appeared on the web - but last knock it was still available online in Library of Congress .

Interesting train reading.....

See if I can find the link again...wait out.

Third time lucky...here y'go

Goatbloke said:
Green on Blue attacks were the subject of an in-house study dated May 12 2011 by US Army entitled A Crisis of Trust and Incompatability by a Lt Col Jeffrey Bordin.

It is unflinching in its analysis of the gulf between USFOR and local allies in AFG.

His report was picked up by both the US Army's own in-house journal Stars & Stripes and the Wall Street Journal, amongst others including online blogger Michael Yon.

Despite clumsy subsequent efforts to firstly supress then play down its conclusions, it is still available on the web ( a vivid illustration of why people in power detest and fear t'Interweb....)

http://www.TinyURL.com/c6v8cv5
Rest In Peace fellers

No nation had Truer friends...

Well I'm in Afghan right now and I'm telling you your wrong. I have had many J2 briefs recently. The Aup are the main culprits and alot of the Green on Blue are not carried out by Taliban infiltrators. Usually it's because they have lost face in front of colleagues or locals. They are murdering pieces of shit. The Ana however are turning against the Aup, these guys are starting to choose sides ready for us to leave. This shithole will be a failed state forever.

Well I'm in Afghan right now and I'm telling you your wrong. I have had many J2 briefs recently. The Aup are the main culprits and alot of the Green on Blue are not carried out by Taliban infiltrators. Usually it's because they have lost face in front of colleagues or locals. They are murdering pieces of shit. The Ana however are turning against the Aup, these guys are starting to choose sides ready for us to leave. This shithole will be a failed state forever.
Well, you won't get a counter-argument from me about that assessment. It should echo with anyone ancient enough to have soldiered in Aden, after the government of the day announced the date of the British withdrawal from that dustbowl.

And thanks to Goatman for the link in post #15, above. I will read the study with interest, and disseminate it as widely as I can.