2 Girls in Peru - Innocent victims or drug smugglers?

The Hilton in Minsk was known for 'working girls' hanging around the nightclub. However, the only time that I ever got propositioned was in the Overtime nightclub by an Azerbaijani 'girl' (even in the poor lighting it was obvious that she was the wrong side of 35 and, probably, the wrong side of 45).

On my first trip to the DDR in the late '60's , visiting the Leipzig Messe, I was approached in the bar of my state approved tourist hotel by a very attractive, early '20's Polish girl. I thought, knowing how incredibly difficult it was to A) get a visa to enter the DDR and B) the huge number of identity checks one had to go through on arriving, That she was working on one of the Messe exhibition stands. Her reply when I asked what she was doing in Leipzig, was "I .make love" in a very sexy husky voice.
I immediately thought it was some kind of Stasi blackmail set up, made my excuses & left.
It wasn't until my third or fourth trip that I met a nice "ossie" blond, working on one of the stands, who was very generous with her favours and just enjoyed my company. Plus the fact that I had got to know some of the (illegal) E/W Deutschmark fiddles where I could get 4 - 5 East marks for ! W. Mark in W. Berlin instead of the official 1 for 1.
I also had found a good, but slightly dodgy, nightclub that would take E marks from a westerner (all other "approved" cafes/bars/clubs in Leipzig Messe time insisted on only taking Western currency) and sold passable and very affordable Russian Champagne given my good exchange rate!
Ah the joys of cross iron curtain travel before its fall!

Ah I've always wanted to go to Stalingrad, what was the tour and the modern city like?
Its excellent. We went Sept time, so the weather was largely bright and sunny.
Between the railway and the river its very nice, maintained parks, etc. Quite european like in many ways. Eating out was fairly cheap and good quality.
Then you notice that the cars outside are mostly German and this is the haves. Go north of the railway and this is the have nots. Russia is very much, you are either rich, or you are not.

Russians were OK, and very interested why we were there. Once you explain you are learning about the Stalingrads part in the great patriotic war and the sacrifice Russia made to defeat the Nazis and we couldn't have done it with russia. Prepare to drink much vodka and get very very drunk.

The battle itself is fascinating, Beevors book is good, I'm currently reading Voices from Stalingrad by Jonathan Bastable. But when you actually walk the ground, visit the museums and memorials. Its worth going if only to visit the Mamayev Kurgen (and Mother Russia) and the Panorama Museum, the 360 Mural is amazing.

The scale of it is simply epic. I know we walk the WW1 battlefields, but the shear brutality of this place.
Imagine visiting Thievpal or sanctuary wood, then walking along and start seeing the odd human vertebrae, a thigh bone, partial skull.
You know how our war memorials have lists of names, well imagine they are names of regiments and you get the picture.

however back on topic, our visiting ME friends (especially those at RMAS) used to like visiting the Arabia club in London. Picking up some ladies and retiring to a posh hotel for the weekend.
I was informed that moroccan girls were the best.

However back on topic, our visiting ME friends (especially those at RMAS) used to like visiting the Arabia club in London. Picking up some ladies and retiring to a posh hotel for the weekend.
A good mate of mine married an Algerian girl and seemed more than satisfied with her.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Its excellent. We went Sept time, so the weather was largely bright and sunny.
Between the railway and the river its very nice, maintained parks, etc. Quite european like in many ways. Eating out was fairly cheap and good quality.
Then you notice that the cars outside are mostly German and this is the haves. Go north of the railway and this is the have nots. Russia is very much, you are either rich, or you are not.

Russians were OK, and very interested why we were there. Once you explain you are learning about the Stalingrads part in the great patriotic war and the sacrifice Russia made to defeat the Nazis and we couldn't have done it with russia. Prepare to drink much vodka and get very very drunk.

The battle itself is fascinating, Beevors book is good, I'm currently reading Voices from Stalingrad by Jonathan Bastable. But when you actually walk the ground, visit the museums and memorials. Its worth going if only to visit the Mamayev Kurgen (and Mother Russia) and the Panorama Museum, the 360 Mural is amazing.

The scale of it is simply epic. I know we walk the WW1 battlefields, but the shear brutality of this place.
Imagine visiting Thievpal or sanctuary wood, then walking along and start seeing the odd human vertebrae, a thigh bone, partial skull.
You know how our war memorials have lists of names, well imagine they are names of regiments and you get the picture.

however back on topic, our visiting ME friends (especially those at RMAS) used to like visiting the Arabia club in London. Picking up some ladies and retiring to a posh hotel for the weekend.
Thanks for the feed back!

On my first trip to the DDR in the late '60's , visiting the Leipzig Messe, I was approached in the bar of my state approved tourist hotel by a very attractive, early '20's Polish girl. I thought, knowing how incredibly difficult it was to A) get a visa to enter the DDR and B) the huge number of identity checks one had to go through on arriving, That she was working on one of the Messe exhibition stands. Her reply when I asked what she was doing in Leipzig, was "I .make love" in a very sexy husky voice.
I immediately thought it was some kind of Stasi blackmail set up, made my excuses & left.
It wasn't until my third or fourth trip that I met a nice "ossie" blond, working on one of the stands, who was very generous with her favours and just enjoyed my company. Plus the fact that I had got to know some of the (illegal) E/W Deutschmark fiddles where I could get 4 - 5 East marks for ! W. Mark in W. Berlin instead of the official 1 for 1.
I also had found a good, but slightly dodgy, nightclub that would take E marks from a westerner (all other "approved" cafes/bars/clubs in Leipzig Messe time insisted on only taking Western currency) and sold passable and very affordable Russian Champagne given my good exchange rate!
Ah the joys of cross iron curtain travel before its fall!
Graham Greene walt .....

It was just your Welsh charm and chat up lines wasn't it.

I must admit, I did think it might have been that, but given the fact that she would occasionally stay with me overnight in my hotel, where you had ID checks both at reception & outside of the lift on each floor and she sailed through with no problem & came with me to the dodgy nightclub. I began to wonder what credentials she had? Obviously a party member, no one who wasn't could get a decent job. Born after WW2, fairly well travelled, well in the Warsaw pact countries. She liked to boast of her holidays in them but came out with a surprising quote after one such trip to Rumania and encountering Roma for the first time ... "This man Hitler, he had the right idea when dealing with these dirty, thieving tzigane !" Colour me surprised, I nearly fell out of bed!
She was engaged to an Ossie as well, who if he knew about the situation was remarkably calm about it when we went to lunch together one day, also a committed party member who boasted how much better the DDR was to W. Germany & especially the other Warsaw pact countries and the fact he was only 2 years away from getting his Trabant, which he had paid for a couple of years earlier!
When I asked them both what they thought of the Russians, they were a bit quiet, he eventually responded with "We are told to regard them as friends & family, we prefer to regard them as our family". A circumspect way of saying you can pick/choose your friends but NOT your family!
I think in hindsight, because I was a buying manager spending several £million a year on DDR goods and I went many times in the late '60's up to the early '80's, the authorities wanted to keep me sweet and she might have been assigned to keep me happy after the Polish girl encounter which had failed.
I always got the feeling that the DDR authorities were aware of everything.
After I had left that job and moved out of the DDR buying scene I did get an invitation to their wedding, I didn't go, just sent a card & small gift!

Diplomatic row over British Born drug dealer caned in Singapore:
In a statement, the British High Commission in Singapore said: 'The UK strongly opposes corporal punishment in all circumstances and condemns its use in this case.'
Yuen's case was first revealed by the Mail in January last year. Mr Hunt raised it with Singapore's minister for foreign affairs when he visited the country that month.
Since then Foreign Office officials have made further representations on Yuen's behalf, while human rights groups condemned Singapore's use of the cane, saying it breaches the UN Convention Against Torture.

Its made very clear when you enter Singapore that the penalty for drug trafficking is death. I have zero sympathy.
1597921741921.png

Indonesia just the same thing:
1597921806788.png

I hope the caner used a heavy enough cane, with enough spring in it to cause maximum pain, and that he stretched and warmed up before whacking the druggie cnut.

The article kind of muddles things up a bit (a cynic might say deliberately) but it was also for a repeat offence. He got caught once, and then got caught again whilst on bail for the first offence. Jaysus ...

Diplomatic row over British Born drug dealer caned in Singapore:
In a statement, the British High Commission in Singapore said: 'The UK strongly opposes corporal punishment in all circumstances and condemns its use in this case.'
Yuen's case was first revealed by the Mail in January last year. Mr Hunt raised it with Singapore's minister for foreign affairs when he visited the country that month.
Since then Foreign Office officials have made further representations on Yuen's behalf, while human rights groups condemned Singapore's use of the cane, saying it breaches the UN Convention Against Torture.

Its made very clear when you enter Singapore that the penalty for drug trafficking is death. I have zero sympathy.
View attachment 498366

Indonesia just the same thing:
View attachment 498367
Wow, you can be caned for free!

Time for a thread bump with a new victim of an alleged miscarriage ...
I don't if she is unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time , or whether the family are not telling the whole story and she , or the new partner she'd met only that night , were up to a lot more than smoking a joint .

As this theme has just reopened, any update on how this one ended?