2 Div HQ

It's also just been announced that 2 Div HQ in Craigiehall Edinburgh is to close, so where is that going to end up?

oldbaldy

LE
I heard this in a brief/leak last week that it is going down from a 2 star to 1 star HQ.

chimera

LE
This has been on the cards for about 2 years as part of the RF review. Scotland has always been a bit "one on one" with GOC Scotland and 51 Bde, and I guess with the PM no longer being a Jock it was inevitable.

Standby for the return of Districts! the big challenge will be can RFs be reorganised/reduced with commesurate cull of 1*/2*s

Where has it "just been announced" ?

Where has it "just been announced" ?
not sure where it has been announced today, but certtianly been on the cards as part of AVANTI

This has been on the cards for about 2 years as part of the RF review. Scotland has always been a bit "one on one" with GOC Scotland and 51 Bde, and I guess with the PM no longer being a Jock it was inevitable.
Oooooh! Get her!

Announced on the BBC. Towards the end of the page BBC News - RAF Kinloss to close as ministers cancel Nimrod order It says the site will remain open but not as 2 Div HQ. Moving 51 Bde from Stirling perhaps. The will be an awful lot of spare real estate and some cracking quarters coming uo for sale. I understand the problem is the site of Craigiehall is only leased and the landowner is entitled to get it back in the same state as he gave it over.

ARRC to be deployable but 'static' 3* HQ.

2, 4 and 5 div to disband and replaced by UKSC at 2* level.

1 or 3 div to be made reduced to force organisation with residual ability to deploy for enduring mission.

10 regional bds to reduce to 8.

16 brigade to remain. Other 6 bds to reduce to 5 (likely disbandment of 20 Armd) and all part heavy, part medium, part light!!!

2 Div closing is old news, the staff at the RTC have been banging on about it since I went to Redford on a first aid course 3 years ago, and the MGS are never quiet about the movement plans for them as a result of plans for military units.
start listening to the pond life and you will be surprised what truths you hear before it is announced.

ARRC to be deployable but 'static' 3* HQ.

2, 4 and 5 div to disband and replaced by UKSC at 2* level.

1 or 3 div to be made reduced to force organisation with residual ability to deploy for enduring mission.

10 regional bds to reduce to 8.

16 brigade to remain. Other 6 bds to reduce to 5 (likely disbandment of 20 Armd) and all part heavy, part medium, part light!!!
The replacement of 2, 4 & 5 Div with a single 2* HQ makes sense and should have been done years ago. Imagine all those Brigadiers who will now never get a Maj Gen's pension.... HQ 6 Div will probably go once its commitment to AFG has finished, there can't be any plausible reason to keep it going beyond that.

If I had to put money on 1 or 3 Div being reduced to force organisation I'd go for 3. The HQ at Bulford is already overwhelmingly focused on providing PDT for Bde's deploying to Helmand.

As for the regional Bde's I can see 2 (SE) Bde being folded into 145 (HC) Bde and maybe the Bde's in NW and NE England, who knows?

As for LONDIST, no doubt the enduring power and influence of senior Household Div officers will make sure that it survives as an independent 2* HQ.

I should imagine that Bovington and DRAC will become a snake pit of Regtl self interest in the coming months as they all try to position themselves to avoid amalgamation and/or disbandment.

Is Craigiehall actually closing or is it just HQ 2 Div? There are, after all, other units on Craigiehall and another unit will only get upset if it has to host an EOD Tp.

Is Craigiehall actually closing or is it just HQ 2 Div? There are, after all, other units on Craigiehall and another unit will only get upset if it has to host an EOD Tp.
I suspect Historic Scotland are chuffed to bits at the thought of maybe, just possibly, getting their hands on all that space at Edinburgh Castle...

...on the other hand, Edinburgh Castle would make a f***ing fantastic TA Centre...

All what space in Edinburgh Castle? The Castle is home to Edinburgh Garrison HQ only, HQ 52 (Inf) Bde were moved to RCB before they disbanded.

Changes to RF have to come, the amount of Bn HQ's lurking around just draining money from the purse is shocking. Regionalise is the only sensible option with 1 HQ controling a more useable force. Then the lurkers can be on the golf course without it costing the def budget ;-)

Craiggie hall won't shut - 2XX will just cease to be a 2* HQ.

Put money on either Craiggie Hall or York being the new location for 1XX, and with 1XX being focused in the North and Scotland - 7/20 Bde in Leuchars and Lossie with Bde HQ in Inverness (I don't think we ever sold off the old 51X HQ).

3XX will become the FG 2XX HQ as it is sat on the trg estate. 1XX is sat on airfields so it can deploy, it just will struggle to train, but that has never been important anyway. All you need to have available to train armoured crews is a piece of tarmac, everything else can be simulated.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
And there was me thinking we had a force gen (HQLF) and trg sp (LWC) set up already.

I suspect Historic Scotland are chuffed to bits at the thought of maybe, just possibly, getting their hands on all that space at Edinburgh Castle...

...on the other hand, Edinburgh Castle would make a f***ing fantastic TA Centre...
Do keep up .22 boy ! Very little of MOD left in the Castle now bar the museums - and its a shite site to work on. No parking, nightmare to access (The roadworks, trams etc) etc etc. Hand it over to Hysterical Scotland and be done with it. ( And bin the Tattoo at the same time.)

If Craigiehall - crumbling 1960s concrete monstrosity - is leased then give it back ?

Re-org on the Forthside site in Stirling. What does 2 Div do that 51X does not - Med & Legal maybe, a bit of Media ?
So, 3 new offices required. Job jobbed.

( OK, a tad simplistic but the opportunity exists for a radical bit of red-penning assorted "important posts" that add SFA to the war-effort.) In several tours in various HQs about Scotland I have yet to ID anything useful that the Div level has added to a conversation. Its usual role has been to simply add a covering letter and a three week delay to the original letter from LAND.

The old 51X HQ was in Perth, not Inverness.