2 Div 7Qs w/e at CAST(N)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Mar 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Good to meet with some fellow ARRSERs this weekend and for the rest of you - you missed a really useful weekend.

Not to worry, there is another one planned for October, which hopefully will be split into pre- and post-JOTAC syndicates.

msr

2. 7 Questions weekend... oooops, another missed opportunity. Ah well, never having done this 7 questions mularky, am sure that my online MK1 training will prepare me well...

Anyone doing JOTAC in May who'd be willing to help out a clueless bugger?

3. Have a quick look through here:

msr's E Nirex

There are some 7 Questions inserts to get you started.

4. Yes, a very good weekend, satisfyingly tiring. A surprisingly low turnout after the excellent weekend they put on last year. A good job the Geordie Gunners were there to bolster numbers. The weekend really raised my TA morale, until I started to think that the next time I do something as militarily interesting will be on the weekend in October.........

5. msr

msr LE

Sparky,

Who is your mentor? Are they not helping you?

msr

6. msr

msr LE

For those going in October, this might be useful.

msr

Attached Files:

7. MSR,

My mentor is our Adj. And for him to do some mentoring, he would have to interact with me. Which given that he is a regular soldier, and works 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, and that I have a full time job in the real world which occupies me 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, our paths don't cross too often.

Officer training, gotta love it. Has anyone else tried telling the system that they like life as a Subbie and have no interest in further promotion? It seems to fall on deaf ears every time I try it.

Sparky

8. MSR & Fluffy,

Thanks for the links and files. If I can motivate myself, they should come in very handy!

Sparky

9. msr

msr LE

Officially your mentor needs to be a Major...

Sadly, it's yet another example of the p1ss-poor state of most Officers' training.

Babarasson is definitely right to describe this weekend as retention positive.

Attached is a sample YO trg programme I picked up in Basra.

msr

Attached Files:

10. Where does responsibility for YO development lie. 2ics are meant to be responsible for PO development, but clearly all that has gone to brigade. I find the lack of co-ordination and cohesion within and between units amazing, as it would be cheap to put on, and excellent for retention. The MK1 debacle is a clear example, but only one.

11. MSR,

Thanks for that. Makes for interesting reading and serves to highlight a few (*ahem*) gaps in my YO's education.

Such a shame you had to go all the way to Basra to find something like that. Are they teaching the New Iraqi Army Officer Corps that?!?!

Sparky

12. msr

msr LE

Barbarasson,

It could be something like:

O/CDT -> Lt = Adjt
    Capt = 2ic
    Maj = CO

I can't help thinking that things would improve enormously if every Bde Comd asked for a copy of the YO Trg Plan from each of their units.

msr

13. wouldn't take him long to read them.

14. msr

msr LE

Correct, but could you imagine the scramble to get one in? And then the embarrassing sideways glances when the Bde Comd gets hold of a subbie and asks him what he thinks of the training he has received?

You never know, it may even be retention positive ;)

msr

15. Whoa there MSR. Enough of the crazy speak. Next thing you'll be suggesting is that they will stop f*cking units around, mobilizing the best soldiers and just leaving us with the dross, the few remaining "yet to goes" and the recruiting cell.