2 British Soldiers arrested in Nairobi

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ghost_Rider, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reuters story here

Another fine example of "Shooting themselves in the Foot" publicity for the British Army :cry: This just adds weight to the opinion of those who think the Army does nothing for the country but get pi$$ed and cause trouble. Unfortunately, the mindless minority that bring this sort of bad publicity in a few minutes will take years to erase... (take that statement any way you want :wink:)

Ghost

2. I bet it was a good night out though!

3. Yeah, but when they are locked up, there'll be lots on this site claiming that they were hard done by and that the punishment was over the top.

Shame that some can't realise the amount of damage these people do to our reputation.

5. Prats the pair of em! ..... 'nuff said really.

6. In all honestly I would be one of the ones shouting and complaining because if they had done it in this country they would more than likely be fined and banned for a while.

7. And that's the point , the ALLEGED offence didn't happen in this country , it took place in a country we are guests in.

As per usual with this sort of thing, can anyone who was there or close, refrain from making comments till the full facts are out please?

Ditto on deciding guilt or innocence.

Thanks

PTP

8. My point remains, PTP. This was not intended to be a discussion of guilt or innocence, merely that, even before the alleged offence makes it to the court, that the news are all over the story and painting the British Army in a very poor light.

I hope that this makes some people sit up and take notice - when you are out enjoying yourselves, and things go horribly wrong, it is not just your personal character that suffers, but the good name of the British Army - even if you are not involved, it is sufficient to be seen in the same area, or even suspected of being there.

Ghost

9. By that logic we must be responsible for everything then. I'm sure there must have been at least one or two off duty military near the scene of the 7 July bombings or the collapse of the twin towers etc etc Perhaps I'll just have a quite night in then, although I hope my next door neighbour doesn't fall down the stairs, I'd hate to bring the army into disrepute

10. By that logic we must be responsible for everything then. I'm sure there must have been at least one or two off duty military near the scene of the 7 July bombings or the collapse of the twin towers etc etc Perhaps I'll just have a quite night in then, although I hope my next door neighbour doesn't fall down the stairs, I'd hate to bring the army into disrepute

11. Oops sorry, ND there

12. Temple,

I'm not suggesting that we take responsibility for absolutely everything that goes wrong in the world, but I AM suggesting that there are a fair few people out there, representing HM Forces, who are guilty of "turning a blind eye" when perhaps a subtle "Leave it!" might have been in order. I AM suggesting that those people who do not have the moral courage to do what is right in difficult situations may, perhaps, be in the wrong employ, especially considering certain event since the start of the latest bun-fight in the Middle East.

I do not intend on getting into a Large-Scale deployment over this; rather I just re-state my original point, that irrespective of whether these people were guilty or not, the fact that they were "Bill Oddies" immediately makes it a newsworthy event, and that we, as members of HM Forces, have a responsibility to protect the good name of the Forces by acting accordingly.

Ghost

13. Ghosty,

Dont know if its been said already, but they have been arrested. They are guilty of nothing - they will appear in court this week in order to establish their guilt of a crime.

At least wait for any court action to nail them as a mindless minority. The majority of soldiers i have had the privilage to know over the years have been guilty of being mindless once or twice in their lives, and none of them went out to agrivate a shoot yourself in the foot publicity campaign on behlaf of the British Army.

Ghosty mate, lets wait for the court outcome before we trial them by media!!!

Boney

14. Jesus H,
    Calm down you lot, even in Kenya its not a hanging offence.

Have you ever tried to get a cab in Nairobi??? It aint easy so I empathise.

The two miserable excuses for soldiers could not even nick a motor without getting caught so there go their SF selection tests!

It really ain't news worthy...the only shame I feel is that they were unable to avoid Kenya's finest......if you have ever seen them, you will share my shame.

15. Biff has it right, I think. Bloody stupid behaviour if the allegations are proved, but the case probably wouldnt be prosecuted as theft in UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.