2 British Soldiers arrested in Nairobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reuters story here

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenyan police have arrested two British soldiers and will charge them with attempting to steal a car in the capital Nairobi, a senior officer said on Sunday.
"They have been arrested and will be charged in court this week," Nairobi police chief Kingori Mwangi told Reuters.

He said it appeared the pair tried to drive off in the saloon car in the early hours of Saturday morning after drinking at a bar in Karen, an affluent city suburb.

He said they were stopped by taxi drivers and security guards who detained them, but gave no other details, including the soldiers' identities or when they would appear in court.

Officials at the British embassy in Kenya were not immediately available for comment
Another fine example of "Shooting themselves in the Foot" publicity for the British Army :cry: This just adds weight to the opinion of those who think the Army does nothing for the country but get pi$$ed and cause trouble. Unfortunately, the mindless minority that bring this sort of bad publicity in a few minutes will take years to erase... (take that statement any way you want :wink:)

Ghost

B

Biscuits_AB

Yeah, but when they are locked up, there'll be lots on this site claiming that they were hard done by and that the punishment was over the top.

Shame that some can't realise the amount of damage these people do to our reputation.

Ghost_Rider said:
Reuters story here

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenyan police have arrested two British soldiers and will charge them with attempting to steal a car in the capital Nairobi, a senior officer said on Sunday.
"They have been arrested and will be charged in court this week," Nairobi police chief Kingori Mwangi told Reuters.

He said it appeared the pair tried to drive off in the saloon car in the early hours of Saturday morning after drinking at a bar in Karen, an affluent city suburb.

He said they were stopped by taxi drivers and security guards who detained them, but gave no other details, including the soldiers' identities or when they would appear in court.

Officials at the British embassy in Kenya were not immediately available for comment
Another fine example of "Shooting themselves in the Foot" publicity for the British Army :cry: This just adds weight to the opinion of those who think the Army does nothing for the country but get pi$$ed and cause trouble. Unfortunately, the mindless minority that bring this sort of bad publicity in a few minutes will take years to erase... (take that statement any way you want :wink:)
Whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?
Ghost

In all honestly I would be one of the ones shouting and complaining because if they had done it in this country they would more than likely be fined and banned for a while.

f they had done it in this country they would more than likely be fined and banned for a while.
And that's the point , the ALLEGED offence didn't happen in this country , it took place in a country we are guests in.

As per usual with this sort of thing, can anyone who was there or close, refrain from making comments till the full facts are out please?

Ditto on deciding guilt or innocence.

Thanks

PTP

PartTimePongo said:
f they had done it in this country they would more than likely be fined and banned for a while.
And that's the point , the ALLEGED offence didn't happen in this country , it took place in a country we are guests in.

As per usual with this sort of thing, can anyone who was there or close, refrain from making comments till the full facts are out please?

Thanks

PTP
My point remains, PTP. This was not intended to be a discussion of guilt or innocence, merely that, even before the alleged offence makes it to the court, that the news are all over the story and painting the British Army in a very poor light.

I hope that this makes some people sit up and take notice - when you are out enjoying yourselves, and things go horribly wrong, it is not just your personal character that suffers, but the good name of the British Army - even if you are not involved, it is sufficient to be seen in the same area, or even suspected of being there.

Ghost

Ghost_Rider said:
PartTimePongo said:

Thanks

PTP
My point remains, PTP. This was not intended to be a discussion of guilt or innocence, merely that, even before the alleged offence makes it to the court, that the news are all over the story and painting the British Army in a very poor light.

I hope that this makes some people sit up and take notice - when you are out enjoying yourselves, and things go horribly wrong, it is not just your personal character that suffers, but the good name of the British Army - even if you are not involved, it is sufficient to be seen in the same area, or even suspected of being there.

Ghost
By that logic we must be responsible for everything then. I'm sure there must have been at least one or two off duty military near the scene of the 7 July bombings or the collapse of the twin towers etc etc Perhaps I'll just have a quite night in then, although I hope my next door neighbour doesn't fall down the stairs, I'd hate to bring the army into disrepute

Ghost_Rider said:
PartTimePongo said:

Thanks

PTP

Ghost
By that logic we must be responsible for everything then. I'm sure there must have been at least one or two off duty military near the scene of the 7 July bombings or the collapse of the twin towers etc etc Perhaps I'll just have a quite night in then, although I hope my next door neighbour doesn't fall down the stairs, I'd hate to bring the army into disrepute

Temple,

I'm not suggesting that we take responsibility for absolutely everything that goes wrong in the world, but I AM suggesting that there are a fair few people out there, representing HM Forces, who are guilty of "turning a blind eye" when perhaps a subtle "Leave it!" might have been in order. I AM suggesting that those people who do not have the moral courage to do what is right in difficult situations may, perhaps, be in the wrong employ, especially considering certain event since the start of the latest bun-fight in the Middle East.

I do not intend on getting into a Large-Scale deployment over this; rather I just re-state my original point, that irrespective of whether these people were guilty or not, the fact that they were "Bill Oddies" immediately makes it a newsworthy event, and that we, as members of HM Forces, have a responsibility to protect the good name of the Forces by acting accordingly.

Ghost

Ghost_Rider said:
Reuters story here

Ghost
Ghosty,

Dont know if its been said already, but they have been arrested. They are guilty of nothing - they will appear in court this week in order to establish their guilt of a crime.

At least wait for any court action to nail them as a mindless minority. The majority of soldiers i have had the privilage to know over the years have been guilty of being mindless once or twice in their lives, and none of them went out to agrivate a shoot yourself in the foot publicity campaign on behlaf of the British Army.

Ghosty mate, lets wait for the court outcome before we trial them by media!!!

Boney

Jesus H,
Calm down you lot, even in Kenya its not a hanging offence.

Have you ever tried to get a cab in Nairobi??? It aint easy so I empathise.

The two miserable excuses for soldiers could not even nick a motor without getting caught so there go their SF selection tests!

It really ain't news worthy...the only shame I feel is that they were unable to avoid Kenya's finest......if you have ever seen them, you will share my shame.

Biff has it right, I think. Bloody stupid behaviour if the allegations are proved, but the case probably wouldnt be prosecuted as theft in UK.

I hope they weren't remanded in custody as the chances of them coming out **** virgins and aids free are virtually nil. I recall another case where some soldiers got knicked for theft in a similar country and ended up getting gang raped and infected. One of them killed himself some time later.

:(

I never heard of anything like that being mainstream news ST?

Care to back it up with a link.

One would like to think that if they were there on ex or duty then there would be a SFA with the host nation and that the RMP, so badly bad mouthed on here, would be working around the clock to have them released into their custody. I know thats the way it works in most ex locations throughout the world.

SFA = Status of Forces Agreement

The timing is interesting/unfortunate....

The Kenyans were *hugely* upset that the Transport Minister was refused permission to enter the UK because he was alleged to be corrupt. There were mutterings about his suing for libel, demands for apologies, accusations about colonialism and veiled threats of retaliation. Let's hope that whatever transpired in the case is completely unrelated to this - but given the past record of the Kenyan government (in the days of Moi) with regard to vicarious retaliation for percieved slights, this old cynic is left wondering.

For those that missed the fracas over the refused entry - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4750127.stm

poor lads, but they should have had more sense, i know hind sight is 20 / 20 but still, don't nick a motor in dodgy places , and if you do nick on, either go unseen or leg it before the local plod turn up and they find themselves in the Nairobi Hilton with all the risks of becoming some ones play thing! does not seem to have helped the army but lets hope the army helps them !

Status
Not open for further replies.