2 Bn. The Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment) - Italy 1918

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Phisy, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently doing some research into my family tree, and have found out that a Great-Great Uncle was killed in Northern Italy.

Private Arnold Brand (known as Charley) G/23472. 2nd Bn., The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt.) Formerly 32883 Norfolk Regiment. Died of wounds Tuesday 16 April 1918. Age 19. Born Hockering Common, Norfolk. Lived Hockering. Enlisted Wroxham. He's buried at Magnaboschi Cemetery, Italy.

I'm obviously interested in finding out anything else I can about him, and will pursue the normal routes about him as an individual - but any information regarding the activities of 2nd Bn. The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) in Italy at the time would be appreciated.

For personal interest, any possible explanation of why Pvt Brand ended up in The Queen's, after having originally been a member of the Norfolk Regiment would also be nice!

Also - any information regarding my Great Uncle, a Pvt Victor Gibson, 7612322, Royal Army Ordinance Corps, attd. HQ 1st Airborne Div, named on GROESBEEK MEMORIAL; grave unknown. Killed on 18/09/1944 at/in area of Arnhem. (Born and presumably enlisted in Nottingham).

Thanks for any help/clues/tips that can be provided!

2. Norfolk to Queens would have been due to a manpower crisis it was common during the First World War for men badged to one Regiment to end up in another. By the end of the war when Divisons werereduced from 12 Battalions too 9 the excess ones were broken up and used as drafts for other units.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. I found the reference to a photo of LCpl Victor Gibson elsewhere, but as the Victor Gibson is listed as a Private with the CWGC I kind of wrote that one off as a coincidence; of course he could have been wearing local/acting rank I guess but I have no way of confirming that until I try and pull his records. At the moment I have no idea if Victor had children - although I know he was married; I'll have to do some more digging on that side of the family!

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll be sure to follow them up.

5. As I understand it ( and I'm a little hard of understanding) Conductor is a unique RLC WO1 rank nowadays, and RLC was formed from amalgamating RAOC, RCT, etc.. Same name, probably same outfit, I'd doubt that it's a coincidence.

6. After 1916 soldiers were often drafted where they were needed. No "Pals" battlaions for Conscripts.

The official History will provide the basic information about 2 Queens in Italy "Military Operations, Italy, 1915-1919 Battery Press/IWM" It may be easier to find it in a liberary.

The Legion is taking a bttlefield tour to this part of Italy in Septmber. If you were to join us you can ask the guide, Anthony Langdon.