2 August - Russian paratroopers day

#1




Prophet Elias is celestial patron of Russian paratroopers.





 

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Someone looks cross in the second picture... Wasnt he in Corrie?

Isnt this the event that started day of rioting some while ago between paras and navy?
 
#3
You woudnt mess with the lad second from the left on the top picture. They all look so happy.

The sledge hammers looking quite close to the family jewels :oops:
 
#7
Scotch-Pie said:
the third picture looks like some university toffs on the pimms next to the thames!
Doesnt matter what country the Navy is from then. :wink:
 
#8
Sergy:

The Patron Saint of American Paratroopers:

‘Saint Michael the Archangel’

See attached pic for medal many, Catholic Paratroopers wear.

Note: Website gives all types of Patron Saints.


http://www.luckymojo.com/patronsaints.html
 

Attachments

#9
Ahh, so these are the guys we trained "against" as KP troops in the 80's...

No match for the Royal Irish Rangers I am afraid. Far too interested in appearances. :roll:
 
#10
double post
 
#11
Trip_Wire said:
http://www.luckymojo.com/patronsaints.html
It's an interesting list of patrons.

Artillery ---- St. Barbara. But why?
Aviators ---- Our Lady of Loretto, ??? St. Joseph Cupertino ???
Cavalry ---- St. George
Diplomats ---- St. Gabriel Archangel
Enemies of Religion ---- St. Sebastian.

Even enemies of religion have the patron!

Healing of Wounds ---- St. Rita
Illegal Drug Dealers ---- Jesus Malverde (narcobaron himself I suppose)
Illegal Immigrants ---- Nino Fidencio (illegal immigrant himself probably)
Lawyers ---- St. Genesius, St. Thomas More

I suppose that these saints are also patrons of liars and politicians.

Masons ---- The Two Sts. John, St. Clement

How many partons the politicians have!

Paratroopers ---- Saint Michael Archangel

Poor ---- Saint Anthony, St. Lawrence
Sick Poor ---- St. Martin de Porres

But the rich haven't patrons. It's unfair.

Prisoners of War ---- St. Leonard
Sailors ---- St. Brendan, Saint Christopher, St. Nicholas, O.L. Star of the Sea, O.L. Caridad d. Cobre

Soldiers ---- St. George, St. Joan of Arc, St. Sebastian
 
#12
KGB_resident said:
It's an interesting list of patrons.

Artillery ---- St. Barbara. But why?
St Barbara is the patron saint of amongst others the Artillery, Munitions technicians, miners and whores she basically took those groups that no self respecting saint would have, due to the danger of the job (doesn't look good for a saint if the punters die off so quick) or the bad reputation of the profession (not sure which is the case with the artillery) ;)
 
#13
So how many trains/passengers were smashed up this year by the Russian paras?

msr
 
#14
Ex- St Barbara (she's been demoted since)was apparently an Egyptian girl long ago who was burned at the stake by her pagan father who was subsequently dropped by a thunderbolt.

She was apparently adopted by the early gunners due to the extreme danger of the job, early artillery pieces being as lethal to the crews as to their enemy. The saying "Hoist by their own petard" comes from this period.
 
#15
Presumably they cleared away the ex airborne colonel who begs for coppers from a pitch near the entrance of the State Historical Museum
 
#17
londonirish said:
No match for the Royal Irish Rangers I am afraid. Far too interested in appearances. :roll:
Oh I don't know, I'm sure they could handle The West Side Boys though.
Wheres the leprechaun of death when you need him eh?
 
#18
Come on chaps, we're all missing the important point here: those blue and white striped vests are a bit dodgy are they not? Are you sure these aren't pictures from Moscow's Gay Pride march? The second chap from the right in the third picture looks like a catamite.

That said, I wouldn't say that to their faces, gay vests or not.
 
B

benjaminw1

Guest
#19
HarryPalmer said:
Ex- St Barbara (she's been demoted since)was apparently an Egyptian girl long ago who was burned at the stake by her pagan father who was subsequently dropped by a thunderbolt.

She was apparently adopted by the early gunners due to the extreme danger of the job, early artillery pieces being as lethal to the crews as to their enemy. The saying "Hoist by their own petard" comes from this period.
Not in the "proper" church....

St Barbara
 
#20
benjaminw1 said:
HarryPalmer said:
Ex- St Barbara (she's been demoted since)was apparently an Egyptian girl long ago who was burned at the stake by her pagan father who was subsequently dropped by a thunderbolt.

She was apparently adopted by the early gunners due to the extreme danger of the job, early artillery pieces being as lethal to the crews as to their enemy. The saying "Hoist by their own petard" comes from this period.
Not in the "proper" church....

St Barbara
Greek Orthodox, proper? pah! not round these parts mate. Everyone knows God isn't some weirdy beardy left footer type, he's CofE.
 

Similar threads

Top