1st time back in the saddle after 35 years

TheSnake

Clanker
Okey dokey chaps. I got this for Xmas from the missus, and gave it a go.
I haven't built a model since I was at JLR early 80's. I know it's not weathered down, my OCD just wouldn't give in to it.
I've painted the wagon to what I remember when we had to hand them over before we took delivery of the CH1.
Now that I seem to have got my eye back in, I've found a Tamiya model of the CH1 (after much searching) and will make that up to how we took delivery of them.
Thanks for any positive comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• Chief1.jpg
    Chief1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Chief2.jpg
    Chief2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 125
  • Chief3.jpg
    Chief3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Chief4.jpg
    Chief4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Chief5.jpg
    Chief5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 128
Never mind the weathering - that is a lovely neat finish! :thumright:

I'd fill it with resin or putty or glue bits of lead inside (during construction) so as to give it some heft if it's ever lifted. It imparts a more substantial feeling.

The model looks 9.5/10 to me. Poser ;-)

Very Nice, it's satisfying making a model of something you knew well, you could display it better on a base board decorated with Regimentalia, militaria or personal photographs. How did you feel making a Mark 5?

I haven't built a model since I was at JLR early 80's. I know it's not weathered down, my OCD just wouldn't give in to it.
I've painted the wagon to what I remember when we had to hand them over before we took delivery of the CH1.
Now that I seem to have got my eye back in, I've found a Tamiya model of the CH1 (after much searching) and will make that up to how we took delivery of them.
@Simmerit may be able to help - he produces some excellent stuff (see the other threads).

@Simmerit may be able to help - he produces some excellent stuff (see the other threads).
@Dads203 is your man. He did a cracking Chally 1. There is also a book out on modelling it as the Tamiya kit has some minor corrections that need doing to it

another Idea for a base covering is to apply a map printed off the internet of SPTA or Soltau, or anywhere else you may have found yourself in your Regiment, glue and trim this onto your base board and glue the tank onto the map. Sets it into a context. If you served in BATUS or Iraq then a plain piece of featureless sandpaper or green cloth would do it.

Diko

Old-Salt
Can I ask, what’s wrapped around the main barrel, sacking? Is this for protection from touching a hot barrel? Only ever been near a tank that was at Lark Hill range in ‘64.

Last edited:
Can I ask, what’s wrapped around the main barrel, sacking? Is this for protection from touching a hot barrel? Only ever been near a tank that was at Lark Hill range in ‘64.

It's a Thermal sleeve to keep the barrel at an even overall temperature to prevent barrel droop and stuff which can affect accuracy...

I'd fill it with resin or putty or glue bits of lead inside (during construction) so as to give it some heft if it's ever lifted. It imparts a more substantial feeling.

The model looks 9.5/10 to me. Poser ;-)
I wouldn't do that for two reasons, if someone picks up your pride and joy and finds it unexpectedly weighty, it may be dropped, and as luck would have it, not onto a feather pillow, secondly, a model like this is fragile, it's the modelers paint effects that give the impression of weight. This is why I say to make a base for it, hardboard disguised as ground is strong enough to take the handling.

try this. The Amazon monster should stock

2A5BAF57-1E2A-433F-8B81-9D2D005956F7.jpeg

Never realised we painted them all green, at hand over.

did you paint yours over with Diesel to make them all shiny in a Bullshit baffles P.R.E. brains way?
Not quite :rofl: When 2RTR left Munster for Omagh , we had to resprayed all the CVRTs. The paint that was supplied was this anti IR stuff, the blokes that were doing the spraying and had to stop. For some reason the QMs store had some how dished out gloss. Did look nice though, only had eight to spray again.

Latest Threads