1st London Guards

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not at all - can’t comment on the Officers Mess as I wasn’t commissioned. Can’t comment on the NAAFI but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was any worse than the inter company rivalry in my two battalions of the Queen’s. I stick to my point that compared to the Londons there was more unity. Yes we (B Company) had a few soldiers puffing a bit of weed at Vogelsang after the week long exercise with 50 Missile, this led to one JNCO and A. N. Other being charged with possession and discharged. Hardly a serious drug problem.
Having supported 50 Miserable many times I can quite understand why a reserve unit might turn to drugs!

Ursus Major

War Hero
I think you'll find it's called a Busby;)
AD956AFE-806A-44DE-911A-EF71AE734343.jpeg

Phase 1 only, Gunner, Ceremonial does not qualify them in any role other that King's Troop. They have slightly less military training than members of the Royal Corps of Army Music.

Those very few that volunteered for TELIC and HERRICK had to go though military and equipment training to so do.
Is that a cost saving thing?

BTW, I am aware that the opinion of Household Cav Armoured is that the Troopers on horseback are there because they have IQ's lower than that which they muck-out each morning.... not that I am trying to start a fight in the NAAFI, of course ;)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
******* disgraceful.

London Jocks being effectively erased as a Regiment, losing all Scottish accoutrements whilst being told by their CoC that being 'Scots Guards' will 'protect their heritage'.

Utter balls which the Army, Household Division and any other of the apologists should be ashamed of.
Totally agree. The guards are often seen as bastions of tradition. Instead they have trampled on other regiment’s traditions in a piece of pointless vandalism.

The London Scottish is very well recruited and retention has been high. We all hope that continues but fear this could end up being a huge own goal.

Strike Sure.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Totally agree. The guards are often seen as bastions of tradition. Instead they have trampled on other regiment’s traditions in a piece of pointless vandalism.

The London Scottish is very well recruited and retention has been high. We all hope that continues but fear this could end up being a huge own goal.

Strike Sure.
Strike Sure indeed.

Is that a cost saving thing?

BTW, I am aware that the opinion of Household Cav Armoured is that the Troopers on horseback are there because they have IQ's lower than that which they muck-out each morning.... not that I am trying to start a fight in the NAAFI, of course ;)
Last time I was in Buenos Aires I was invited to visit the barracks of the Granaderos a Caballo , the equivalent of the Household Cavalry and I was shown round by a Corporal / Officer Cadet ( was waiting for the next intake to their Sandhurst, effectively ) and it's the same thing . One squadron is made up of real soldiers who are the presidential guard and the Mounted squadron is made up of illiterate gauchos from up North who , whilst they are superb horsemen , are not trusted with anything more dangerous than a sabre or a musical instrument

Here's a compromise !

Raise a new battalion as I suggested , with companies up in the Regimental heartlands , but with HQ Company co located with the Rifles in Davies St in Mayfair , complete with Officer's Mess , or at Birdcage Walk ?
The officers can then do all their personal training and admin in London , commanding their troops by zoom on drill nights and only having to actually be with their troops on exercise ?
As a lot of these officers are likely to be the sort who's jobs would never release them for a deployment , or will have other pressing reasons not to want to go on ops , it would be incumbent on them to find someone to replace them , a bit like the Middle Ages , when you could be excused military service if you supplied a replacement knight and charger or just paid for them in lieu.
Unfortunately Davis Strasse has been released back to the Trustees of the Grosvenor Estate.

Latest Threads