1st London Guards

Each to their own I suppose but HCR in general is not the most useful Regiment in the Army due to the burden of the Royal Household and Ceremonial duties which is the point I made. Replace HCMR with a troop of actors/Reservists and let the rest get on with soldiering.

PS Kings Troop are all trained Gunners. And have provided soldiers to Units on Herrick and Telic.
Addendum, gratis etc.

QRK2

LE
Each to their own I suppose but HCR in general is not the most useful Regiment in the Army due to the burden of the Royal Household and Ceremonial duties which is the point I made. Replace HCMR with a troop of actors/Reservists and let the rest get on with soldiering.

PS Kings Troop are all trained Gunners.

Phase 1 only, Gunner, Ceremonial does not qualify them in any role other that King's Troop. They have slightly less military training than members of the Royal Corps of Army Music.

Those very few that volunteered for TELIC and HERRICK had to go though military and equipment training to so do.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
a bit like the Middle Ages , when you could be excused military service if you supplied a replacement knight and charger or just paid for them in lieu.
That chit-in-lieu beats a fablon biff chit.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
I reckon you’ll have people queuing round the street to be a part time guardsman.

Join for a year or two, get some cool Facebook profile pics of you stood outside Buck house in a ridiculous hat and red jacket. Job jobbed.
I think you'll find it's called a Busby;)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

diehard57

War Hero
Ah, the Queen's Fusiliers.....weren't Robson and Green in that lot? Lasted about two weeks before disbandment?
A little longer than that, about four and a bit years 1988-1992. 8QF was a good battalion and despite having two cap badges it had a spirit and identity that I feel was lacking in the Londons. The two regiments - Queen’s and RRF were in the same Division, shared the same main battle honour - Albuhera 16th May 1811 were supported by good SPSIs and most importantly got on with each other. Sadly, the very well recruited ‘A’ (Highwood) Company at Camberwell was sacrificed when the London Scottish and the woefully understrength London Irish company joined to form The London Regiment.

I know a couple of former ICCY lads.

They’re about the least military people you could possibly meet.

You quite sure about that, shippers?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A little longer than that, about four and a bit years 1988-1992. 8QF was a good battalion and despite having two cap badges it had a spirit and identity that I feel was lacking in the Londons. The two regiments - Queen’s and RRF were in the same Division, shared the same main battle honour - Albuhera 16th May 1811 were supported by good SPSIs and most importantly got on with each other. Sadly, the very well recruited ‘A’ (Highwood) Company at Camberwell was sacrificed when the London Scottish and the woefully understrength London Irish company joined to form The London Regiment.
Middlesex Regiment capbadge used to be worn by my school CCF.

I was a London Jock when we were part of 1/51 Highland - that was as daft an arrangement as the Londons, G Coy in London, V Coy in Liverpool and the balance in Scotland. Even I could see that going from London to Perth to get your uniform was a bit inefficient.

The basic problem is vesting identity in sub-units rather than units, it never really sits well (apart from the Gunners) so the real answer would have been to recreate a battalion of London Jocks....:wink:

Phase 1 only, Gunner, Ceremonial does not qualify them in any role other that King's Troop. They have slightly less military training than members of the Royal Corps of Army Music.

Those very few that volunteered for TELIC and HERRICK had to go though military and equipment training to so do.
As an ex gunner I didn't know that but then had nothing to do with them save for watching one of their horses get run over (or crush a car depending on your point of view) when we were on ex at Larkhill/SPTA many years ago.

A bit of selective memory methinks ?
The cap badge rivalry even extended to the officer's mess , where punch ups between Queens and Fusilier officers on mess nights were the stuff of legend , let alone what went on in the NAAFI
At one stage , one of the Queens companies had a serious drug problem , with several NCO's getting arrested for possession .
The C (RRF) Company song , sung to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic to this day , has a brilliant verse, certain to wind up the other companies on a range week end
" Twas on a day in April , on Albuhera day ,
the Fusiliers and the Queens were thrown into the fray
it's hard to lose your colours and it's really rather tough
but I'd rather be a Fusilier than a f*cking Buff "
Oh , and the Fusiliers consistently won all the silver .

Last edited:

ugly

LE
The cap badge rivalry even extended to the officer's mess , where punch ups between Queens and Fusilier officers on mess nights were the stuff of legend , let alone what went on in the NAAFI
At one stage , one of the Queens companies had a serious drug problem , with several NCO's getting arrested for possession .
The C (RRF) Company song , sung to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic to this day , has a brilliant verse, certain to wind up the other companies on a range week end
Very subtle compared to my local det of 5 Queens V who were convinced they were part of Liebstandarte and would harass and taunt the Bn NBC instructor (kent and a red sea pedestrian) with Zyklon B written on the Noddy suit name tags and little Liebstandarte badges on their Mk6 lids.

Very subtle compared to my local det of 5 Queens V who were convinced they were part of Liebstandarte and would harass and taunt the Bn NBC instructor (kent and a red sea pedestrian) with Zyklon B written on the Noddy suit name tags and little Liebstandarte badges on their Mk6 lids.
Every single one of them should have been told SNLR.

Every single one of them should have been told SNLR.

Depends there’s always been a bit of nazi fanbois

No idea why, be it boche marching songs or those stupid cousins with their scout sniper flag
Let’s not mention the salute from a few pricks on tour 10-12 years ago

QRK2

LE
As an ex gunner I didn't know that but then had nothing to do with them save for watching one of their horses get run over (or crush a car depending on your point of view) when we were on ex at Larkhill/SPTA many years ago.

Before C2K came in there was a bit more ability to swap in and out.

No idea why, be it boche marching songs or those stupid cousins with their scout sniper flag
In the words of The Specials and SLF:

Cf quite a lot of the “ally” thread…

diehard57

War Hero
Not at all - can’t comment on the Officers Mess as I wasn’t commissioned. Can’t comment on the NAAFI but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was any worse than the inter company rivalry in my two battalions of the Queen’s. I stick to my point that compared to the Londons there was more unity. Yes we (B Company) had a few soldiers puffing a bit of weed at Vogelsang after the week long exercise with 50 Missile, this led to one JNCO and A. N. Other being charged with possession and discharged. Hardly a serious drug problem.

Latest Threads