1st Line Optimization - One Year Old (Approx)

But surely the converse is true - the simple fact that they are at a Front Line unit should attract a certain cachet in terms of reporting?

Its just a QMs appointment, the same as an RLC unit QMs appointment. Only in an RLC unit the ability to do moderately well on an infantry based exercise can serve you well on an Sjar, I doubt it will raise an eyebrow with the infantry.

My RCMO told me it will be noted on the board that people are in LO positions but he used the same sort of language that used to be given when they were trying to railroad people in the training posts in Pirbright/Deepcut

It smells to me like this is to keep RLC numbers up (and RLC senior ranks can then be justified).
As not a single supplier was touched in the redundancy phase due to undermanning I very much doubt it.

I dont think it is a myth, Im hearing this from some fit (by loggie standards) soldiers.I stress its not the actual fitness that is the problem, its the fact the loggies who maybe above average at a loggie units are no longer at infantry units

really???

BillyBallBag

Old-Salt
Most enjoyable replies, cheers all.

Overall I think 1LO is a success, we are now at Army 2020 manning and have had a really busy year with the Bn split between locations which has meant QM Pl personnel gone too. The service to the Coys has stayed the same and we passed the LSI with a healthy green. I would add that we had a really proactive head shed in the QMs who have been nothing but welcoming to us and as they were switched on themselves this has smoothed our path. Ive had a couple of "debates" with an RQ but nothing serious.

I would recommend this job to anyone in a rank where there are slots.

RI, how did you find the transition from 2nd Line to 1st Line? i think there was a pilot course run through a year or so ago to prepare the first tranche of Log Specs for the work you're doing now but unsighted if Log Specs earmarked for 1st line appts get formal prep trg routinely through Deepcut. Aside from the experience they have accumalated to date.

From my own throughts I think it will evolve the trade.

RI, how did you find the transition from 2nd Line to 1st Line? i think there was a pilot course run through a year or so ago to prepare the first tranche of Log Specs for the work you're doing now but unsighted if Log Specs earmarked for 1st line appts get formal prep trg routinely through Deepcut. Aside from the experience they have accumalated to date.

From my own throughts I think it will evolve the trade.

There is a 3 and half day course.

If this is a success (or made to be one), will the Infantry MT be the next target for something similar?

If this is a success (or made to be one), will the Infantry MT be the next target for something similar?

Logically and historically yes. Once upon a time mil clerks were from the Bn, as were Regimental Cooks...in reality though unlikely.

In reply to BillyBawbag, I did the 1LO course run by 3 Div last year as did all the team. I found it ok but perhaps the best part was the chat by two RQ's from a unit where a 1LO team was already in place. We had 2 chaps from the Royal Anglians and they were informative, realistic and humourous (they threw in a good wind up about using 1LO troops to issue CSups to troops on the front line, a few folk paid brisk attention all of a sudden!). However I found the best way of gaining knowledge was to contact my peers at different units and bang our collective heads together.

There are some things which are still hard to get used to; Infantry QMs love to count and check EVERYTHING so the Stocktaking Programme and the new BOO regime is hard for them to take.

And back to the issue of PT, remember that the QM Pl is part of HQ Coy, not a Rifle Coy.....

Thought I would bump this somewhat old thread......how is this 1LO business working now? At my Unit the Inf lads in CQMS/QM roles have told me it is not working at Bn level, RI or Stacker know any different?

Thought I would bump this somewhat old thread......how is this 1LO business working now? At my Unit the Inf lads in CQMS/QM roles have told me it is not working at Bn level, RI or Stacker know any different?

It is... and it isnt

The RLC are not very joined up on this. If the units get people with a QMs background then they are laughing, if they dont then it is all going pear shaped rapidly.
The main problem is that Glasgow are looking at the best, not the best to work in QMs dept. You have people who have lived in a training wing most of their life being posted in a position they cant possibly be expected to do. They are learning on the job, which means they might as well be that units capbadge and learning on the job.

The 4 in 6 out idea has fallen squarely on its arse and I'm at a loss as to why people thought it would work. The basic idea was MJDI (snigger) would streamline the work. Well MJDI doesnt drive the forklift, cover duty storeman or even do any shelf stacking. There are black/grey economy posts everywhere.

I think it will work better once the juniors in LO positions work their way up the ranks so they are SMEs although that wont help the black economy posts.

So are these RLC attachments going to stay? The Inf lot here seem to think that it will go back to the old system. A number of them are pissed off that they have lost a promotion route through the introduction of RLC storemen.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There has been quite a bit on how the inf bns view this change, but how is it viewed now within the RLC? Is this a posting that someone just needs to get out of the way and ticked off on their to do list for promotion, or is it a three year mark-time until I get back to a proper RLC unit? Are Suppliers actually asking for and competing for posts with inf QMs or are these postings ones that people try to side step or pass completely in their career path?

So are these RLC attachments going to stay? The Inf lot here seem to think that it will go back to the old system. A number of them are pissed off that they have lost a promotion route through the introduction of RLC storemen.
The RLC are giving it big licks to keep it (Even though we are under manned in every rank from lcpl through to WO2). Indeed some of the infantry are pissed off especially if the army broke them and they are going back to the companies where they will be lucky to not get pap 10ed and will never promote again.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

There has been quite a bit on how the inf bns view this change, but how is it viewed now within the RLC? Is this a posting that someone just needs to get out of the way and ticked off on their to do list for promotion, or is it a three year mark-time until I get back to a proper RLC unit? Are Suppliers actually asking for and competing for posts with inf QMs or are these postings ones that people try to side step or pass completely in their career path?
It's being touted as an almost guaranteed promotion posting. Most of those who were in at the start have been promoted however this was when there were very few of them and they were the best at the QM type jobs. Now its being filled with all sorts I'm not so sure. I remember the same "guaranteed promotion posting" for those who volunteered to train recruits about 10 years ago. Oddly enough there was a shortage of volunteers just prior to this in training depots and once the numbers were full not all of them got their guaranteed promotion. Some loggies are volunteering for LO for a variety of reasons ranging from being brilliant at the job to the fact the infantry unit is based close to their home. Others are being spammed for it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

In a strange twist of oddness our RQ/SQ posts are Wedge supported by RLC JNCOs.

In 2 days; I'll have been out 6 years (that has flown in quicker than 2 postings let me tell you!), how is 1LO going now?

Has this thread turned out to be a Great Prophecy or a pile of pooh?

Oh, and hello again all :)