1st Bn Wessex Regt, Le Marchant barracks Devizes

offhand

Old-Salt
4 of us from C (Shropshire Yeomanry Sqn) QOMY did our recruits cadre at Wesdown Bks and passed out at Devizes with the Wessx. During the cadre John Lennon was shot and the RSM broke his thumb demonstrating the present arms! 5 Years later I joined the Regular Army and bumped into him on the Sino-Hong Kong border in 1989, I think he was the QM of the DERR.

Although I was in 3 RRW my basic was with 1 Wessex at New Zealand Farm with the passing out at le Marchant - I've always thought it was one of the nicest of the old Cardwell barracks.

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
And 10 Ord Sp Bn was in the other barracks attached to Hopton Barracks - Prince Maurice barracks. As an aside the RAOC Officers Mess was in Prince Maurice Barracks -and several episodes of Dr Who were filmed there with the weird car - and Jo was luverly.

My first posting was to 10 Ord Sp Bn. remember playing cricket in the Wessex Regt Barracks.

OnTheBus

Old-Salt
For anyone who was 17Pl E Coy of 1 Wx, although the Platoon moved from Derriford to Millbay on becoming D&D, the old '17 Platoon' signage from Derriford is still in the bar (after being A Coy, 4D&D then 15 Pl, E Coy, The Rifle Volunteers, Millbay is currently the home of 10 Pl, D Coy, 6 Rifles), there are still some old photo's about too. For those who remember him Alan T is still serving in the TA (joined in '76) and has reached the dizzy heights of Cpl! And the ghost of Chris Chiswell (RIP) still haunts the bar (the lads will genuinely not stay in there on their own!).

Passed out at Le Marchants Anti-Tank based in Gloucester 78/93 we are having a reunion in July PM me if interested be great to see ex Wessex

No the POW Camp was further up the road, where the turn off for ~Bishop's Cannings is. Regarding the breakout - it was nipped in the bud at the 11th hour - A german speaking visitor to the camp overheard a conversation and reported it. The POWs were marched through the town from the old Devizes Station all the way up to the camp.
I think REME took that camp on after? It was manned and operational.Knocked flat a few years back.

Did my recruit selection weekend there in 89 ish. I thought I would be staying in furnished rooms, beds lockers etc. Slept on the floor in an empty room. There was a clue there I think....... Daft enough to do it again though

I used to be the CSM of D Company 1 Wessex and later CSM of HQ Company 2 Wessex when the companies change. For my sins I was given a platoon of WRAC. I was also the Signals PSI to 1 Wessex in Trowbridge/Devizes in 1972 -74.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
Can anybody help with the address of the old B Coy Wessex TAC in Winchester?

1&12

LE
I don't know if it's of interest to you Wessex lot but someone's selling a 45 x 75cm "E Coy 1 Wessex" flag on eBay at the moment.
Seller in Finland and nothing to do with me, just thought I'd let you know as I came across it.

Hello all i am new to thsi site served with A coy 1 wessex rifle volunteers in gloucester in 84 looking for a 1 wessex regiment tie the colour is mint blue with white dragons over the tie any help would be great many thanks

ugly

LE
Hello all i am new to thsi site served with A coy 1 wessex rifle volunteers in gloucester in 84 looking for a 1 wessex regiment tie the colour is mint blue with white dragons over the tie any help would be great many thanks
Seriously nowah google it.

Could help there mate.

Attachments

Good to see that 1 Shock Army lives on with many stalwarts out there still serving!!
1 Wessex was the best of the best and in particular the Mortar Platoon!
Just so happened to serve with them from 1982 until being banished to Devizes and HQ Coy in 1995.
Still hanging on in the TA as I haven't been found out yet!
Simply the Best.........better than all the rest.
20180718_212342.jpg
20180718_212342.jpg

shadowonarun

Old-Salt
Well that happily wasted half an hour when I should be working.

Ex B Company 1 Wessex, then reassigned as B Company 2 Wessex.
Started in Winchester 1983, ended up as Signals NCO then Platoon Sergeant, 5 Platoon in Winchester. Many a happy weekend spent at Newburgh House.
Anyone on the USA trip in 1986?
There is a Royal Hampshire / Wessex TA reunion lunch coming up, anyone wants details send me a pm and I'll pass on the instructions.

Latest Threads