1st Bn Wessex Regt, Le Marchant barracks Devizes

boxwood

Swinger
Trossachs, you are spot on. He left the BBC years ago and left RGBWR as a half Col. !!!

As for me I live in Devizes-home of 1 Wessex- for shame.

Still go to the reunion, usually with [mod edit no names] who is a Maj. in REME (possibly the most inept person as far as mechanical thing go I have ever seen)

Take care yourself and all ex-Wessex members

I was with A Coy 1 Wessex in Gloucester from '84 till about mid '86 when I went onto 4 Woofers in Worcester. Many happy memories of Le Marchant barracks and nights out in Devizes. Any other ex members of A coy from around that time about?

Manod Bach

Old-Salt
The other barracks - hutted camp - was Hopton Barracks. Not a POW camp, but one used pre-D Day for housing troops pre-invasion. There used to be a sundial outside the guardroom to comemmorate all those who passed through the camp en route to Normandy.

I was there as a member of 3 RHA from 1975-1977.

msr

LE
11 Pl D Coy, Newbury.

You are not wrong about getting old...

The other barracks - hutted camp - was Hopton Barracks. Not a POW camp, but one used pre-D Day for housing troops pre-invasion. There used to be a sundial outside the guardroom to comemmorate all those who passed through the camp en route to Normandy.

I was there as a member of 3 RHA from 1975-1977.
And 10 Ord Sp Bn was in the other barracks attached to Hopton Barracks - Prince Maurice barracks. As an aside the RAOC Officers Mess was in Prince Maurice Barracks -and several episodes of Dr Who were filmed there with the weird car - and Jo was luverly.

Attachments

Grizzly-Bear

Swinger
Bloody Nora, i thought our old TA lot were forgotten about......!
Le Marchant for 2 weeks, passing out parade......
Me, ex D then C coy.....1984 - 1986 then the Regs for a few years.
D coy.....Craig Cadman, Ken Pryor....W0 2 Minty
C coy's CO, mad Mike, Ken Chivers, Steve Copper, etc etc.
They all must be in rest homes now ? lol

Any C Coy lads here ?

1985, sennybridge, up n down those bloody mountains.....aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, painful memories lol

GreenGirl

Clanker
Bloody Nora, i thought our old TA lot were forgotten about......!
Le Marchant for 2 weeks, passing out parade......
Me, ex D then C coy.....1984 - 1986 then the Regs for a few years.
D coy.....Craig Cadman, Ken Pryor....W0 2 Minty
C coy's CO, mad Mike, Ken Chivers, Steve Copper, etc etc.
They all must be in rest homes now ? lol

Any C Coy lads here ?

1985, sennybridge, up n down those bloody mountains.....aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, painful memories lol
Ken's definately not in a rest home. He's still in the same house!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a reunion coming up soon actually in reading. Anyone interested, pm me and I will point you in the right direction for details

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gosh, there's a reminder. HQ Coy 2 Wessex 75-77, here, then off to the Regular Army.

Cardinal

War Hero
Anyone D Coy 1 Wessex 1982-85 ?
Me 14 platoon first at Holdenhurst road later at Wallisdown, later jumped to RMR. Mark T "Ginge" and Dave T both went regular RM after leaving D Coy and were still serving last time I heard anything of them. Alec W stayed on with D Coy and became a Sgt when it changed to D&D.

Happy days, miss being that fit and more importantly that young!

Cardinal

Tubs

Old-Salt
Le Marchant Barracks was also used as the MoD IT Training Centre during the 1980/90's. I spent many happy weeks in Devizes while being trained in state of the art skills like Cobol programming! ;o)
The Army held a fire drill during one summer based course and i ended up helping to extinguish a fire while wearing t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. RSM not too amused. :eek:)
Ah, happy days.

Do any ex-Wessex guys know where Ray Vincent (A/Tk pl) can be found? Last seen in Winchester 1994 but unfortunately I lost contact with him. I want my share of the quiz prize bottles of rum you bugger!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Do any ex-Wessex guys know where Ray Vincent (A/Tk pl) can be found? Last seen in Winchester 1994 but unfortunately I lost contact with him. I want my share of the quiz prize bottles of rum you bugger!
Someone of that name has just appeared on the Wessex regt (v) Facebook page. Will point him in this direction.

Thanks muchly...

H M

Crow
I joined C coy I Wessex in 1977 a long time as passed. Its a shame that the old place Le Marchant barracksas gone its as many fond memories for me, It was are home of are regiment from 1967 till the breakup the best infantry TA Battalion 1 Wessex

Latest Threads