1st Bn Wessex Regt, Le Marchant barracks Devizes

Copperhead

Swinger
D Coy 2 Wessex - Transferred in 1984 - Transferred out 1989. Managed to serve in all platoons 10, 11 & 12 Plt.

Sadly.. still in the mob today!

Is there any other D Company, 2 Wessex - Farmers Boys??

I joined d coy 2 wessex in may 89 and served in 10 plt. For my sins I went on to join the regs and now serving with TA

msr

LE
Copperhead said:
D Coy 2 Wessex - Transferred in 1984 - Transferred out 1989. Managed to serve in all platoons 10, 11 & 12 Plt.

Sadly.. still in the mob today!

Is there any other D Company, 2 Wessex - Farmers Boys??
11Pl D Coy joioned 1989.

msr

In-the-Van

Old-Salt
Trossachs said:
In-the-Van said:
Trossachs said:
In-the-Van said:
Right Then, am I the oldest 'Wyvern' on here??

Joined 6Plt. 'B' coy 1 Wessex in 1977............There are still at least two serving members who were on my recruits cadre all them years ago. [how many cap badges have they been through!]
Yes, they do have reunions, when they do, they advertise them in 'Soldier ' magazine.
I raise you "Joined 17 Pln in May 77"

Did my Recruit cadre at New Zealand Farm. Still serving, I hit 50 next Jan.
Good old New Zealand farm camp, now sadly faded into the plain. We were probably on the same recruits cadre then, about October 1977??
Sounds about right. Was there a course photo ? I've not got anything at all that dates that far back, tho there is another guy on FTRS here who was on my PCBC course a few years later.
Trossachs.
Sorry mate, the oldest photo I've got is of the 'B' Coy. P### up that same year, again at new Zealand farm. Then a few of Spearhead[?] 1978, God that makes us old!!!

In-the-Van said:
Then a few of Spearhead[?] 1978, God that makes us old!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearhead_(TV_series)

Great programme, oh you mean the excercise :oops:

Mac657

Crow
I went on one of my best camps ever with 1 Wessex, 'Ex Bold Grouse' in Denmark, '92-ish. We were from the 2nd battalion. Quality two weeks!!

Any body remember kipping in the 'animal house'? This was a gym crammed full of bunk beds where about 300 blokes kipped! Some bloke got stoved in one night and nobody heard a thing!

msr

LE
I was on that camp!

SIB were called for that incident.

msr

Two out of seven members of the Bath Crawl on Saturday were ex-Wessex! Huzzah for the Wyvern...

Trossachs wrote:

[align=center]Joined 17 Pln E Coy 1 Wessex in Plymouth in 1977. Served with C Coy 2 Wx in Maidenhead, also as Pln Comd in Basingstoke and finished as Coy Comd in Winchester. Happy Days. Richard Holmes as CO, "Orange Forces" on Lionheart in '84. B*ggered if ever I thought I'd still be serving now !!

2 Shock Wessex !![/quote][/align]

So impressed at seeing something on the internet about 2 Wessex, I joined the forum immediately

I served in 2 Wessex from Oct 78 to May 90. All at Basingstoke TA Centre, first with 6 pln B Coy and from April 83 as 9 Pln C (Royal Berkshires) Coy (Complete with Brandywine Flash)

I was the Pln Sgt from 83 to 88 and pln Comd from 88 to 90. I was on Lionheart as OSF

we must know each other? any other old 2 Wessex hands out there?

Went to the Wardrobe Regimental Museum on sunday(well worth a visit) and after chatting to the guy down there it seems like when the RGBWLI become the Rifles in feb 07 they will no longer be using the Brandywine flash.I realy hope he`s got it wrong. :cry:

In-the-Van

Old-Salt
Just got hold of one of the new TRF's for 'The Rifles', there is an awful lot of history crammed into the small piece of woven material

Balisong said:
Went to the Wardrobe Regimental Museum on sunday(well worth a visit) and after chatting to the guy down there it seems like when the RGBWLI become the Rifles in feb 07 they will no longer be using the Brandywine flash.I realy hope he`s got it wrong. :cry:
Im afraid its true:
You can read all about how the DERR, Royal Berkshires, Wiltshires and Glorious Gloucesters are being erased from regimental history here:

http://history.farmersboys.com/regts_future.htm

boxwood

Swinger
I was in 7 Plt 2 Wessex. You might remember my big bruv Chris, he was Plt Cmdr 8 plt, Slough. I was at M/head as an A41 operator, LMG then Sect Cmdr. Mike

Trossachs

War Hero
boxwood said:
I was in 7 Plt 2 Wessex. You might remember my big bruv Chris, he was Plt Cmdr 8 plt, Slough. I was at M/head as an A41 operator, LMG then Sect Cmdr. Mike
Mike, If thats the Chris who went on to big things with the BBC then yes, I do remember you. Glad to hear from you !

Sounds like most of the Bn is still posting on here !

ExRanker

Swinger
Good to see that 1 Shock Army lives on with many stalwarts out there still serving!!
1 Wessex was the best of the best and in particular the Mortar Platoon!
Just so happened to serve with them from 1982 until being banished to Devizes and HQ Coy in 1995.
Still hanging on in the TA as I haven't been found out yet!

dante242

War Hero
Anyone D Coy 1 Wessex 1982-85 ?

Good to see so many old Wessex Warriors still out there.Ijoined Mortars 1Wessex in 1979 then went to D COY 2 Wessex in 1981 before joining the regs(1 R.HAMPS)in1983.Best camp I did was in Belize when D coy sent a platoon as part of a composite TA coy.We had to "invade" Belize but were beaten back by the mighty BDF aka Belize Defence Force aka bloody damned fools.Good days,what happened to Brock Barracks?.Is that still there?

Latest Threads