1st Bn Wessex Regt, Le Marchant barracks Devizes

Trossachs

War Hero
Cardinal said:
I was at Holdenhurst Rd, later Wallisdown., the same time as you. You still serving?

Regards
Cardinal
Joined 17 Pln E Coy 1 Wessex in Plymouth in 1977. Served with C Coy 2 Wx in Maidenhead, also as Pln Comd in Basingstoke and finished as Coy Comd in Winchester. Happy Days. Richard Holmes as CO, "Orange Forces" on Lionheart in '84. B*ggered if ever I thought I'd still be serving now !!

2 Shock Wessex !!

Cardinal

War Hero
Engineers, the Wessex/Winchester lot became the field troop. 78 (Fortress) Engineer regiment was another of those great and highly motivated TA units pi**ed away by HMG.

My current TA unit 104Bn REME (I am not REME) has a few ex Wessex lads, not many but a few.

Regards
Cardinal

msr

LE
Cardinal said:
I know 1 Wessex Didn't but for some reason I seem to remember 2 Wessex doing so.

Regards
Cardinal
One Coy of 2 Wessex did wear the brandywine flash (of the DERRs), IIRC.

msr

extankie

Old-Salt
I also sereved in HQ Coy for a few months in the radio repair cell in 90 before heading off to JLR RAC. My Father was the Officers Mess Manager (He also ran the Southgate pub at the same time).

Trossachs

War Hero
msr said:
Cardinal said:
I know 1 Wessex Didn't but for some reason I seem to remember 2 Wessex doing so.

Regards
Cardinal

msr
C ( Royal Berkshire) Coy. Maidenhead, Slough and Basingstoke.

Those of a historical bent may care to remember that the last 12 of the Royal Berkshires charged the assembled Afghan Army at Maiwand. As a mark of respect the Afghans did not mutilate the bodies. Lets hope for no repeats of history !!

Mac657 said:
Good to see there's still plenty of us still knocking about. I'm ex D coy, 2 Wessex, Brock bks (91 onwards). It was a cracking battalion and i can honestly say those days were among the best of my military career -reg and TA.

Barrack room lawyer, would you have served at that time?
check your pm's

Swinger
Cardinal, no joined the Prison service, seconded to to the FCO hence the interesting travel......send me a PM

combatintman

War Hero
Oh those were the days also Ex 17 Pl E Coy 1 Wessex at the TA Centre at Derriford (84-85). Did my recruit cadre at Westdown when there were peace protesters camped outside it - pass out parade at Le Marchant. Joined the Regs in 85 and still in (just!) - but always look back fondly on that year with the Bn - used to have some great laughs the only nause was the world's longest 4 tonner ride to and from SPTA for most of our training weekends. The best one ever was up at Fremington - same weekend as Live Aid - that was a brilliant laugh and scorching hot.

In-the-Van

Old-Salt
Right Then, am I the oldest 'Wyvern' on here??

Joined 6Plt. 'B' coy 1 Wessex in 1977, received my kit at Le Marchant [where this thread started] served until 1982.
Re-joined the 'old-and-bold' HSF in 1989, when that lot was dis-banded, back into mainstream TA [by then 6/7 PWRR] until finally hanging up my boots in 1997.

Points of note;
There are still at least two serving members who were on my recruits cadre all them years ago. [how many cap badges have they been through!]
Yes, they do have reunions, when they do, they advertise them in 'Soldier ' magazine.

In-the-Van said:

Joined 6Plt. 'B' coy 1 Wessex in 1977, .
Sad to now admit I briefly served in 6 Pln ( Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Volunteers), B Coy 1 Wessex from 1973 to 1974. Lived down the street from Mick the Pln Sgt, at the time I was probably the youngest in the Bn.

Always the first Pln to finish and get stowed away on a weekend, in time to catch the ferry. What a crew, big ron on the GPMG, Flash from the RCT and that Avionics tech in Pln HQ.

Some sound advice that then kept me away from civvy street for the next 28 years :wink:

Trossachs

War Hero
In-the-Van said:

Joined 6Plt. 'B' coy 1 Wessex in 1977............There are still at least two serving members who were on my recruits cadre all them years ago. [how many cap badges have they been through!]
Yes, they do have reunions, when they do, they advertise them in 'Soldier ' magazine.
I raise you "Joined 17 Pln in May 77"

Did my Recruit cadre at New Zealand Farm. Still serving, I hit 50 next Jan.

In-the-Van

Old-Salt
Trossachs said:
In-the-Van said:

Joined 6Plt. 'B' coy 1 Wessex in 1977............There are still at least two serving members who were on my recruits cadre all them years ago. [how many cap badges have they been through!]

Good old New Zealand farm camp, now sadly faded into the plain. We were probably on the same recruits cadre then, about October 1977??

lancslad

War Hero
Trossachs said:
msr said:
Cardinal said:

Regards
Cardinal

msr
C ( Royal Berkshire) Coy. Maidenhead, Slough and Basingstoke.

Those of a historical bent may care to remember that the last 12 of the Royal Berkshires charged the assembled Afghan Army at Maiwand. As a mark of respect the Afghans did not mutilate the bodies. Lets hope for no repeats of history !!
Brandywine flash - that brings back a few memories. IIRC it was an inverted red triangle behind the Wyvern. It caused quite a few admiring glances when myself and a few others were on a course at Winchester at the time C Coy was changing over to D Sqn RY.

I'm fairly sure that when we were issued with RY cap badges (a Berkshire Horse in the case of D sqn) we were also provided with a brandywine flash.

lancslad

A DERR MALTA SOLDIER REMEMBERS :-
" We had many a happy hour down the Gut, getting to know the locals, and in some cases drinking ourselves senseless. I remember when the American Fleet came in , the 7th I think and one of the American Marines asked what the Red patch was behind the cap badge, the answer given was something like 'We got it awarded for giving your lot a good hiding many years ago etc etc', This didn't go down to well and it is fair to say the Battle of Brandywine Creek finished in The Gut in Malta, we won that as well"

http://www.farmersboys.com/

Its a shame the above website doesnt have a section on for the Wessex, its got the Berkshires, Wiltshire, Gloucesters, DERR and RGBW's on, I might email the webmaster with that suggestion.
http://history.farmersboys.com/

Trossachs

War Hero
In-the-Van said:
Trossachs said:
In-the-Van said:

Good old New Zealand farm camp, now sadly faded into the plain. We were probably on the same recruits cadre then, about October 1977??
Sounds about right. Was there a course photo ? I've not got anything at all that dates that far back, tho there is another guy on FTRS here who was on my PCBC course a few years later.

The Brandywine Flash sure made the Wyvern stand out a treat.Iwas realy proud to wear it(if only for three years)

I started as a keen 171/2 year old in the Newbury platoon of 2 Wessex - if my memory serves me correctly, I keep losing track of which Wessex's which with the amalgamations and so on. The best job we did was trying to infiltrate Greenham Common to test the USAF security. I say trying, we used to end up sat in the middle of the runway firing mini-flares to attract their attention. Ex Midsummer Madness if I remember correctly?

Note: There are a lot of IIRCs in this posting, that is because that was nigh on thirty years ago..FFS! I then went on to fulfil my dreams and be commissioned into the Royal Artillery. I then fulfilled my nightmares and ended up in the RSIGNALS...just joking!

Latest Threads