• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

1st Battalion Jamaican Regiment at Buck House

When a visiting Regiment takes over ceremonial duties at Buckingham Palace where are they billeted usually?

We are doing a story on the Carribbean Troops (Soldiers from the 1st Battalion Jamaican Regiment) who will mount The Queen's Guard from tomorrow.

Anyone served with them or know of them.

This is not cheap research - I'm not the reporter - I'm just interested.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
A simple solution to overstretch - invite all commonwealth countries to take a turn at public duties for, say, 6 months at a time...

napier said:
A simple solution to overstretch - invite all commonwealth countries to take a turn at public duties for, say, 6 months at a time...
What, and make all the Guards Regts work for a change. That'll make you popular. LOL.

oldbaldy

LE
Way back in the summer of '68, when I did Calypso Hop the JDF did the duites at Edinburgh Castle. Think we got the better end of the deal. :D

saintstone said:
napier said:
What, and make all the Guards Regts work for a change. That'll make you popular. LOL.
The way things are going, mate, public duties will soon be TA-stylee. You know, every Tuesday night and every other weekend only.

It is, after all, very old-fashioned, out-moded and reactionary of the Government to protect the Monarch :roll:

I absolutely love steel-bands but I bet these boys have not brought one. If they have I doubt they will be allowed to play iy on The Mall.

Is this a wind-up? I hope not because it might remind some of the trendy lefty luvvie European Soviet Union worshipping and arse-licking sh*tes in government that there is a Commonwealth. A Commonwealth that is very fond of and very loyal to Her Majesty - even those countries that do not have her as Monarch.

If true, let's hear it the Jamaicans!!

Been my experience that Jamaican forces are of mixed quality running the gamut from pretty good to "DO NOT ISSUE LIVE AMMUNITION." I'm sure this battalion was stocked with high performers for this assignment though so expect them to be decent. Keep in mind that they routinely conduct operations against well armed narco gangs so more of a field force than a drill & ceremony one.

Hopefully they are better than their police force, Anyone remember bob woolmer.

Steel band on the mall would be great, i remember when the Trinidad and tobago lads were at the edinburgh tattoo, you couldnt help but smile when you heard them

saintstone said:
napier said:
Try telling that to the Grenadiers who have recently lost another Guardsman whilst doing a cracking job in Afghanistan.

GrumpyGit said:
saintstone said:
napier said:

Try telling that to the Grenadiers who have recently lost another Guardsman whilst doing a cracking job in Afghanistan.
Read it properly, only intended as a joke. It wasn't meant as a slur on them or the work they do.

Good luck to the JDF, it's an honour and a priviledge to see them step into the role. If memory serves the only other Commonwealth Armies to have done Guard mounting at Buckingham Palace etc are the Aussies and Canadians.

On a slightly different note, what's happened to the Representative Coy's of the Grenadier, Coldstream and Scot's Guards? I thought the main reason for them being retained in the early 90's was because of the requirment to continue covering ceremonial duties? I appreciate and understand if this is provide troops the the 1st Bn's on ops.

napier said:
But only after we've had to deploy the Chelsea Pensioners to Afghanistan ......

I have just got back from filming the above regiment as they changed guard at Buckingham Palace and can report the following exclusively.

The Band was a tad squeaky in parts and the marching less than crisp.
The 1st Bt guards were carrying M16s not SA80s or SLRs.

Their band played Bob Marley's 'One Love' in the original Reggae stylee outside her majesty's window. She was in residence for the duration of the ceremony and was heard to exclaim to her personal security officer:

'Babylon....Gwan dawn an' tell 'em rasclots to chill dere pipes...I an' I has a riteous head ache on. Riiike.'

re Telegraph's statement that only Jamaica, Australia & Canada have mounted guard.

Didn't the Fiji Regiment do it years back - only headdress was a ceremonial bone through their nose?.

Sure NZ did it last year ?.

whiffler said:
re Telegraph's statement that only Jamaica, Australia & Canada have mounted guard.

Didn't the Fiji Regiment do it years back - only headdress was a ceremonial bone through their nose?.

How very feckin dare you my good man! Read QR's again. It's the Papua New Guineans wot is officially to dress with 'bones ceremonial, for the use of'.

You'll find para. 5 determines when 'Ceremonial bows and Arrows' may be substituted for M16's.

Mind you being a 'mick' how the fcuk did we ever get to any war following the Uillean Pipes? The 8th. wonder of the world.

bob_lawlaw said:
whiffler said:

How very feckin dare you my good man! Read QR's again. It's the Papua New Guineans wot is officially to dress with 'bones ceremonial, for the use of'.

You'll find para. 5 determines when 'Ceremonial bows and Arrows' may be substituted for M16's.

Mind you being a 'mick' how the fcuk did we ever get to any war following the Uillean Pipes? The 8th. wonder of the world.
My mistake - I must have been Wah'ed when a sprog by someone who should have known better. Fijians of course would have been beskirted.
As for steel bands in the Mall, saw a Youth Band event to mark first National Music Day (1999? - now seems to have died a death) where there was such a group ......... from Eastbourne Scouts.

Steel bands invented very recently by the Brits - instant WI tradition but all nice stuff. Coldstream Guards in the 60s had their Corps of Drums double up as such after a tour out that way.

Latest Threads