1st Battalion Jamaican Regiment at Buck House

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bigeye, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When a visiting Regiment takes over ceremonial duties at Buckingham Palace where are they billeted usually?

We are doing a story on the Carribbean Troops (Soldiers from the 1st Battalion Jamaican Regiment) who will mount The Queen's Guard from tomorrow.

Anyone served with them or know of them.

This is not cheap research - I'm not the reporter - I'm just interested.
  2. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

A simple solution to overstretch - invite all commonwealth countries to take a turn at public duties for, say, 6 months at a time...
  3. What, and make all the Guards Regts work for a change. That'll make you popular. LOL.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Way back in the summer of '68, when I did Calypso Hop the JDF did the duites at Edinburgh Castle. Think we got the better end of the deal. :D
  5. The way things are going, mate, public duties will soon be TA-stylee. You know, every Tuesday night and every other weekend only.

It is, after all, very old-fashioned, out-moded and reactionary of the Government to protect the Monarch :roll:
  6. I absolutely love steel-bands but I bet these boys have not brought one. If they have I doubt they will be allowed to play iy on The Mall.

Is this a wind-up? I hope not because it might remind some of the trendy lefty luvvie European Soviet Union worshipping and arse-licking sh*tes in government that there is a Commonwealth. A Commonwealth that is very fond of and very loyal to Her Majesty - even those countries that do not have her as Monarch.

If true, let's hear it the Jamaicans!!
  7. Been my experience that Jamaican forces are of mixed quality running the gamut from pretty good to "DO NOT ISSUE LIVE AMMUNITION." I'm sure this battalion was stocked with high performers for this assignment though so expect them to be decent. Keep in mind that they routinely conduct operations against well armed narco gangs so more of a field force than a drill & ceremony one.
  8. Hopefully they are better than their police force, Anyone remember bob woolmer.

Steel band on the mall would be great, i remember when the Trinidad and tobago lads were at the edinburgh tattoo, you couldnt help but smile when you heard them
  9. Try telling that to the Grenadiers who have recently lost another Guardsman whilst doing a cracking job in Afghanistan.
  10. I see they still use SLR's as well as SA80's, would be strange to see SLR's outside Buck house once again.
  11. Read it properly, only intended as a joke. It wasn't meant as a slur on them or the work they do.
  12. Good luck to the JDF, it's an honour and a priviledge to see them step into the role. If memory serves the only other Commonwealth Armies to have done Guard mounting at Buckingham Palace etc are the Aussies and Canadians.

On a slightly different note, what's happened to the Representative Coy's of the Grenadier, Coldstream and Scot's Guards? I thought the main reason for them being retained in the early 90's was because of the requirment to continue covering ceremonial duties? I appreciate and understand if this is provide troops the the 1st Bn's on ops.
  13. But only after we've had to deploy the Chelsea Pensioners to Afghanistan ......