1988 20th August

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by ugly, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Tomorrow morning I will remember the savage murder of 8 young lads from my Bn at Ballygawley Co Tyrone and the serious wounding some never to recover of 28 other young lads.
    RIP the Ballygawley 8 1st Bn The Light Infantry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

RIP lads.

3. Swift and bold lads, we will remember!

RIP.

4. The soldiers killed were: Blair Bishop (19), Peter Bullock (21), Jayson Burfitt (19), Richard Greener (21), Alexander Lewis ( 18 ), Mark Norsworthy ( 18 ), Stephen Wilkinson ( 18 ), and Jason Winter (19).

We will remember them.

5. RIP Alex, my little mate. I raised a glass at 00:30 as is the custom. Rest easy my friend.

6. RIP
    They died
    For God
    For King and Country
    For loved ones Home and Empire
    For the sacred cause of Justice and
    The Freedom of the World

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The 1LI FB page is a bit dark today. I wont be posting much today. I knew a couple of the lads as the phone box they used was outside our block and we used to chat. All were young, I think most had only recently left the Under 18 platoon. Sadly and also rightly in some ways most of us remember those killed but it was a large 52 seater coach and 28 others were severely wounded. My Team leader eas injured as was the Provost Cpl and numerous others. I was reading on an LI website what one of them went through and it wasnt fun at all.
    There was a feeling at the time that no one should have een using that route for whitefleet moves and plenty of rumours regarding its OOB status but when it comes down to it we had set a pattern that shouldnt have been set.

8. R.I.P. lads.

9. Swift and bold lads.

10. Never forgotten. RIP lads.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Aucto Splendore Resurgo, Cede Nullis, Faithful
    and lastly Onen Hag Oll!

12. Celer et Audax. RIP.

13. I remember the day well. Dreadful. We'd not long left the Province after a two and a half year stint in Omagh - which involved driving along that road and round that roundabout umpteen times in a badly painted army coach or a blue 4 tonner.

Thoughts are with those affected.

This rather brings it all home: Light Infantry Reunited - Northern Ireland History

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stand Easy. RIP.