1988 20th August

ugly

LE
Tomorrow morning I will remember the savage murder of 8 young lads from my Bn at Ballygawley Co Tyrone and the serious wounding some never to recover of 28 other young lads.
RIP the Ballygawley 8 1st Bn The Light Infantry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP lads.

The soldiers killed were: Blair Bishop (19), Peter Bullock (21), Jayson Burfitt (19), Richard Greener (21), Alexander Lewis ( 18 ), Mark Norsworthy ( 18 ), Stephen Wilkinson ( 18 ), and Jason Winter (19).

We will remember them.

RIP Alex, my little mate. I raised a glass at 00:30 as is the custom. Rest easy my friend.

RIP
They died
For God
For King and Country
For loved ones Home and Empire
For the sacred cause of Justice and
The Freedom of the World

ugly

LE
The 1LI FB page is a bit dark today. I wont be posting much today. I knew a couple of the lads as the phone box they used was outside our block and we used to chat. All were young, I think most had only recently left the Under 18 platoon. Sadly and also rightly in some ways most of us remember those killed but it was a large 52 seater coach and 28 others were severely wounded. My Team leader eas injured as was the Provost Cpl and numerous others. I was reading on an LI website what one of them went through and it wasnt fun at all.
There was a feeling at the time that no one should have een using that route for whitefleet moves and plenty of rumours regarding its OOB status but when it comes down to it we had set a pattern that shouldnt have been set.

ugly

LE
Aucto Splendore Resurgo, Cede Nullis, Faithful
and lastly Onen Hag Oll!

I remember the day well. Dreadful. We'd not long left the Province after a two and a half year stint in Omagh - which involved driving along that road and round that roundabout umpteen times in a badly painted army coach or a blue 4 tonner.

Thoughts are with those affected.

This rather brings it all home: Light Infantry Reunited - Northern Ireland History

Stand Easy. RIP.

ugly

LE
I remember the day well. Dreadful. We'd not long left the Province after a two and a half year stint in Omagh - which involved driving along that road and round that roundabout umpteen times in a badly painted army coach or a blue 4 tonner.

Thoughts are with those affected.

This rather brings it all home: Light Infantry Reunited - Northern Ireland History
Young Dave is still in considerable pain, physically and emotionally from that day. I believe not one person escaped death or injury.
I was floored by it, we had done well in NI as a Bn up to that point losing more lads in Germany to fighting, Drink Driving and accidents but that tipped the scales the other way! The regiment as a whole rallied round and a composite company was formed and deployed. It showed how we could and should help but not being there was difficult as so little info especially regarding the wounded was ever released.

Weren't the suspected villians of this outrage shot dead the following week? The Harte brothers with Brian Mullan?

ugly

LE
Not sure but the duty rumour was it was East Tyrones rise back to form following Loughall!
There is an FB page for the regiments fallen in case anyone can add details or needs info;Urban Foxcontrol | Facebook