Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by callum13, Apr 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow, Anyone else read this book and what do you think?
    Picked it up at Waterstones the other week and its bloody great its just like a story of some average joes life in about 10 years time, i tell you what this fella who wrote it was onto something. Would reccomend it to anyone its a classic.
    No spoilers please incase anyone hasnt read it

2. Its good, but in case the title wasnt a clue was set more like 24 years ago :roll:

Or if this gobment gets its way it will become reality in the next few years (of course conspiracy theorists would say its already happening but we havent been told).

But back to the book, Ive not read it for years must dig it out when I reach the bottom of my to-read heap. It was one of several books I had to study at school (possibly GCSE but I cant remember now) and not touched since.

'That fella' who wrote it George Orwell also wrote several other books on similar political themes which are also very good, Animal Farm being one, and Homage to Catalonia about his experiences fighting in the Spanish Civil war.
  3. aahhh, 1984. A good year.

Jacko getting his scalp burned by an exploding light bulb - the first AppleMac going on sale - Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean geting gold in the Sarajevo winter olympics - Gerry Adams almost getting slotted by the UVF - Starlight Express wows the West End - Tommy Cooper bows out live on stage - Crack Cocaine first used in LA - WPC Yvonne Fletcher gunned down outside the Libyan Embassy in London - Australia bins the National Anthem in favour of Advance Australia Fair - The Soviet Union boycotts the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles - Union Carbide kills 8000 Indians at Bhopal - GCSE replaces the O levels & CSE - France winsthe European Championships - Ronnie Reagan jokingly announces he will bomb the USSR - the IRA almost get Maggie in Brighton - BT is privatised - Band Aid are the Christmas no 1
  4. But in the first draft it was called 1948 - the publishers thought it was a little close to the release date.....
  5. you have only just got around to reading 1984?

shame on you sir.

George Orwell (Eric Blair) is IMHO the greatest visionary writer that the UK has ever produced.

you liked the book? go find the film. its very disturbing and harrowing.

Richard Burton plays O'Brian, and its one of the best roles he has ever played, John Hurt plays winston Smith, a part he was made for.

may i also suggest you get and read orwells 'politics and the english language', 'animal farm' and 'homage to catalonia'.

the complete works of orwell > http://www.george-orwell.org/

"If you want a picture of the future Winston, imagine a boot stomping on a human face - forever."