1984 vs Brave New World - Which are we closest to?

endure

GCM
1984 has just scored ! Brilliant header by Surveillance State !

It's not as if they're a new thing. They're just digital instead of paper...

Soviet_International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Revaccination_Against_Yello_Fever.jpg

giatttt

War Hero
Try getting beyond the counter in a government building without showing your passport, anyone under 30 is used to carrying them on a night out and routinely carry them, I saw a lad using his as proof of ID in Screwfix at the weekend.

Better that we accept that the ability to have proof of ID is a good thing and design a system akin to that in Estonia than we sleepwalk into the typical bugger's muddle that passes for competence in the UK.

BTW have a look at the home office biometric identity card and then revisit any opinions you have about ID cards not being a thing.

The point is , people now have their lives on their phones , so the government can track your movements , your conversations , your bank account , your state of health , your relationships , your contacts , your spending habits , your browsing history and even your shoe size through your online purchases .

The point is , people now have their lives on their phones , so the government can track your movements , your conversations , your bank account , your state of health , your relationships , your contacts , your spending habits , your browsing history and even your shoe size through your online purchases .
They can, if allowed to by a judge, for a decent reason. It will only be interrogated within public finance budgetary constraints.

Alexa, Siri and Facebook however have no such requirement and people put far mor through them voluntarily. That data is worth trillions so worthwhile them harvesting it and paying people to look through it.

I know who I am more worried about.

They can, if allowed to by a judge, for a decent reason. It will only be interrogated within public finance budgetary constraints.

Alexa, Siri and Facebook however have no such requirement and people put far mor through them voluntarily. That data is worth trillions so worthwhile them harvesting it and paying people to look through it.

I know who I am more worried about.
It's a good point you make there, and @velcrostripes alluded to it as well. The technology we have allows certain parties to monitor our daily lives in so many ways, and from that data influence our choices and decisions through subtle means.

The problem is, in the context of Orwell and Huxley it is not the government who are doing this but private organisations influencing how we dress, what we eat, and how we spend our money. It could be argued that they are doing it for financial gain and market share, but what happens if they decide to branch out into politics? We are already seeing companies embrace their "wokeness" in order to curry favour with the mob but I don't believe any of them have gone so far as to direct their supporters to oppose or actively block their competitors.

The Judge Dredd cartoon mentioned "The Burger wars" with roving gangs of McDonalds employees involved in gun battles with Burget King staff. It was far fetched at the time, but how far would the likes of Nike go to be number 1 for a certain demographic?

Latest Threads