1983 BBC series The Paras follow up

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Harry_Boomers, Dec 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn’t see if this had been posted before. Had a look at the Para's web site today and saw that the BBC are looking to do a “Where are they now?” documentary on 480 platoon from the original 1983 The Para’s series.

This was the programme that made me join the Army wanting to join the Para’s but got sent to the Signals instead. Does anybody else remember the series?

2. Just took a peek at their website. SHAME THEY HAVE TO SHOUT SO MUCH.

ISTR one of the corporals (the one who thought that 480 had it easy because the cameras were around) was killed in NI in the late eighties/early nineties. Something about withdrawing from an OP (he had transferred to the hooligans by then) and walking into a pl sized, Brit equipped PIRA patrol. Anyone else remember this?

3. Too young to see it at the time but got the HB book that went with the seies.

4. Yes, it has been discussed in a previous thread. Great series though and one of the pioneering 'fly on the walls'. If I remember rightly, Glyn Worsnip ('Nationwide' & 'That's Life') presented. A follow-up would be great, but will only happen if we can cajole some of the old sweats back into the limelight ( a free bar and a five star hotel ought to do it)!

5. Ah many thanks Booty i couldnt find a thread on it! Mods you can remove if its all been done before.

6. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

I think he used to drive around the shot with personal plate of WAR??? Obviously, sad to read of his demise, but I was hooked on that series and will be good to see what they are all upto:

Tattum, Day, Hunt, Ward, Cunningham etal

7. No probs, Harry. If I remember, the thread discussed the whereabouts of the dramatis personae. Then again, I might have dreamt it. In any case, there's no harm in publicising the appeal for the guys to contact the production company.

Hope you're enjoying the sun and the harbour!

8. Oh yes!

9. Digged the mood music too, rather black hawk down/Enya.

10. Dadadada da dada dadadadadadadada .....;something like that

11. Wasn't it a Mike Oldfield noise?

12. Harry's got it. It was a march, with a sort of whistling melody, not unlike (but very vaguely) 'A Bridge Too Far' in tempo and tune. Plus there were a few bars of 'Ride of the Valkyries' thrown in.

13. Yeah it was very much like The Bridge too far theme.

14. Kind of like the 'Behind the Lines' follow-up about the Royal Marine's Mountain and Artic Warfare Cadre (as it was then). Fookin nuts, like doing selection but all in the artic!

15. I remember the RM M&W Cadre follow up it was very good.