1983-84 - Which units served in NI?

In further interest following the army vehicles thread, does anyone know which units were in NI during the '83-84 period?

Got a vauge idea, but again, there's bugger all mention online when I search for it... :roll:

Im sure my old mans Regt 1st Bn Kings Own Borders were there in Palace Bks around that time, i was living in the MQ's near the, then being built, rear gate. Definitely 1985 as a lad in the Regt, LCpl Anthony Dacre was killed in the Divis Flats area.

Lets not forget the most decorated Unit in the British Army.

IndianaDel said:
dingerr said:
Lets not forget the most decorated Unit in the British Army.

The Pioneer Painters and wallpapering company?
8O
Sounds like there's a story there. If safe to do so please divulge.

thinkingaboutit said:
1 Queens were in Omagh those years.
2 Queens were in Derry & 3 Queens were in W Belfast Jan-jun 84. IIRC all 9 Bn's of the Old Queens Div (123 Queens, 123 RRF, 123 R Ang) were there at the same time at one point in 84.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I suspect 12 Armd Wksp did a Maze Prison Guard force tour.

2 Para, deployed back end of 84.

CH512O said:
Im sure my old mans Regt 1st Bn Kings Own Borders were there in Palace Bks around that time, i was living in the MQ's near the, then being built, rear gate. Definitely 1985 as a lad in the Regt, LCpl Anthony Dacre was killed in the Divis Flats area.
They replaced 1 RHF IIRC.

3RRF were at Palace 1981-83; they were relieved by 1RHF about April 83, I think. I worked in Tac Int at Palace for both Bns, & was posted out in June 83. Good times, best I ever had in my service!

Nice to see that only the Combat and Combat Support Arms are included in the MOD's list. Apart from the Royal Transport Regiment - novel, I hope the Tankies are impressed.

My first unit in NI (in 1984) was 26 Sqn RCT who, IIRC, were raised in the Curragh in the 1920s and served in Ireland ever since - even today!