1982 Paras on BBC.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Detonator, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this on the P Coy site and thought I would post it here for greater exposure.

In 1982 the Parachute Regiment helped the BBC make a highly successful television series on what it takes to be a Para. The seven programmes were shown on BBC1 in Mar / Apr 1983, after the Falklands War. The cameras followed the recruits of 480 Platoon from the day they enlisted in January 1982, through basic training at Aldershot, then P Company, parachuting at Brize Norton, and the passing out parade at Aldershot on 16 July 1982, then on with some of them to Northern Ireland. Most of the 23 who qualified went to 2 and 3 PARA. Author Frank Hilton wrote an equally successful companion book to the series “The Paras”.

Frank Hilton and producer David Harrison are keen to contact former members of 480 Platoon – and the staff who trained them – with a view to making a follow-up programme. Harrison says: “We would like to know what happened to the soldiers we came to know so well in the programmes, about their time long or short spent in the Army, and what sort of career they have followed since. If you are an ex-member of 480 Platoon or know anyone who was – or helped train them – we’d love to hear from you”.

RHQ PARA is assisting Frank Hilton and David Harrison with their project and would like to make first contact to ensure only the details of those happy to participate are released. If you are ex-480 Platoon or were a member of the training staff and are happy for Frank Hilton or David Harrison to contact you, please forward your contact details FAO Mike Edgeley (quoting ‘480 Platoon’) to RHQ PARA at:

Tel: 01206 782102
    Email: rhq@parachute-regiment.com
    Address: Regimental Headquarters
    The Parachute Regiment
    Flagstaff House
    4 Napier Road
    CO2 7SW

Mods, dont think security is an issue as its on the net anyway?
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I still have a copy of the original hardback book (minus dust jacket) if anyone needs it.
  3. hmm. i see your book and raise you one! I still have the cover for mine!!!
  4. Dean Ward, the black guy is still in (PTI), met him a couple of years ago - nice bloke
  5. I see your book, with cover, and raise you one! I work with one of the original Para's! :D
  6. Absolutely brilliant programme this, look forward to seeing it again me hopes!
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Heard it might be on UKTV sometime.
  8. Same here!
  9. Can you pass this info on to him then please?

Should say thanks for the responses and add its nothing to do with me, just thought I'd share it on here in case anyone was involved.
  10. This information is way out of date. The trawl for the original 'film stars' went out over 2 years ago and was given up when it became apparent that there was no interest. A number of the guys I spoke to about it wanted nothing whatsoever to do with a follow-up.

If anyone does decide to forward on their details to RHQ Para do send them 'for the attention of Mike Edgeley' as he no longer works there and hasn't for quite a while.
  11. Three episodes watched in a oner early this morning. The rest to follow tonight probably. I'd forgotten what a good series it was - one of the first fly-on-the-wall documentaries about the forces (discounting that one about the Andrew in the '70s).
  12. Would that be Sailor about the old Ark Royal? if so just got the full series on dvd,I must admit to it being rather good.
  13. Aye that was damned good. So was the para one discussed here and so is the marine one (so far) done recently.