1975, Hohne Ranges, last firing of the MGR-1 Honest John.

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by toxic_avenger, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend from 551 Mushroom Troop has asked me to enquire about this.

24 MSL Regt RA

76 Bats.

Apparently the firing was interesting, to say the least. If anyone who was there has anecdotes, he'd be very interested. Also, he has slides of the firing.

I will pass them on.

Thank you.

2. Thanks Roadster. Mods, would it be possible to move this thread to Gunners? I should have put it there in the first place!

3. I was with the Wksp at the time, if my memory serves me correctly, one of the Bty BSMs, I can only remember his nickname, Black Taff, they sent his pace stick up in one of the compartments on the Honest John on the firing. I aslo seem to remember there was a total cock up with one of the missiles as its securing pin was not taken out. Memory may be playing tricks but it rings a bell.

4. I was still serving in 19bty in 1976 and we fired honest john at grafenwohr that year.

Attached Files:

5. I seem to remember something too, mind you, it was such a surprise that I'm not sure that my memory is still playing tricks with me. I watched the launch of the said HJ - but OPSEC stops me from saying anything further......;)

6. As an ex-50 Msl guy from the '80s, if memory serves me, the Regimental anecdotal history of the last HJ firing records the laucher closely following the rocket down-range, connected by the aforesaid locking pin. Must've been a spectacular sight...

7. JAD

JAD LE

If you were 50 Msl in the 80's what were you doing remembering such trade related stuff? There were too many trophies and medals to be won in running and skiing if I remember rightly? I used to have some hard fought sprints etc against a racing snake from 50 called 'Nige' Pedg*. Frig me he could run, and ski and shoot.