1973 Police V Todays police

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by the_boy_syrup, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Gene Geney and the boys

2. Sam's modern day Gang

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Jereny Vine is asking:
    Would you rather be policed by Gene Hunt style coppers or todays style coppers
    Fellow Arrsers I know what I want but what about you?
    Exept maybe the cops at Old Trafford last night I would like them to operate like that a bit more
  2. you ask for old style policing then complain when they get a bit tasty "except the coppers from last night". can't have it both ways chap.
  3. In all honesty, I think the police of today do an excellent job! It's the politics gagging them from being a tad realistic!!
  4. I much prefer the good old days of the SPG etc...

Oh how I laughed when Blair Peach got battered!!
  5. Got to be old style, Jack Regan teaming up with Gene Hunt. What a combo!
  6. Bring back Dixon of Dock Green - now he was a 'proper copper'
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Sorry thespicegirl
    I meant I wanted old style policing not todays namby pamby cops
    Except maybe those cops from last night they were spot on lets have le$$ pi$$ing about and wade in

Bearing in mind I think that if you commit a crime you lose all human rights so a kicking dosn't worry me

You watch Ill get arrested now
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I was a copper in 1975, and the main difference was the amount of feet on the street. On nights, traditionally the shift when fewer bodies were available, we put out in our small city 12 bobbies on foot, 5 cars and a double-crewed van. We used discretion -which was encouraged - on reporting or arresting, and anyone who was dangerous or disorderly was nicked.
    C.I.D were coppers with at least 6 years experience, and knew the villains, drank with them and nicked them.
    Radio control was from the local station and by very experienced local coppers, with civilian help, so local knowledge was excellent.
    Special constables were encouraged and used wisely, especially by rural beat bobbies. Mine was a teacher at local comprehensive, and knew all the local youths and parents. An invaluable source of information, and a good person to watch my back.
    As a village copper, in a medium sized village,predominantly farming, I knew almost everyone, and they knew me. I could arrest someone, and a couple of days later have a drink with them. That was due to manner of dealing with them. Be fair, firm and honest.
    I once had an incident when local fair was in the village, a small fair but with a reasonable amount of 'travellers'. Some damage had been caused, at about 0130 and I was sent. Confronted by a crowd of about 12, I was expecting a hiding, my nearest back-up was 20 mins away, when a noise behind me alerted me to a crowd of local men who had heard the noise, and come to back me up. I had nicked 2 of them for drunkeness and fighting 3 weeks previously. It gave me faith and hope.
  9. Before the Police had their hands tied with all this pink and fluffy PC bullsh1t, kids wouldn't dare gob off at them. PC plod would grab 'em, cuff 'em round the ear and scare the bejeezus out of them.

Now the Police are scared to do anything (except nick drivers for eating smarties at traffic lights) in case they get sued.

So, 1970s Police with today's technology/forensics would be good.
  10. couldn't agree more legs
  11. Huge admiration for the police of today - if only their obvious tasks weren't made so hopeless by a political agenda that's been imposed on them.

Can't turn the clock back, but I had enormous regard for the police of the '70s, too.

We owe them all a debt.
  12. Going back to 70's attitudes would work in most of todays PC/human rights strangled situations, when the fear of a good kicking from the boys in blue kept most on the straight and narrow. Unfortunatly attitudes change, as does fashion. Give me a pair of fcuk off flairs and a copper to scare the toe rags sh*tless and I'd be happy.
  13. Oh, I dunno. I got pretty hard watching those 'Armed B@stards' give the pikeys a kicking
  14. It has to be the old way for me, its been ages since a copper punched me but, as with platoon sgts, there were never any hard feelings. If you get handcuffed these days it could be a poof doing it- unthinkable 30 yrs ago!
  15. Sounds about ideal. Local policy and local control are the key elements.
    One thing I notice is that foot patrols are always deployed in twos. I can understand it in certain circumstances but for the most part it means the officers (naturally) stand having a conversation together rather than observing their surroundings. It also halves the area covered.