1972 Thames TV documentary on Dhofar

Having given your post some thought, one of the Tp Sgts at ACS was an 'armoured farmer' and I have seen his name in that thread. He may have some idea where the Saladins came from.
Anyone any idea where "Wimpey" Waite, ex Cherrypicker, went? He liked Saladcans.

Anyone any idea where "Wimpey" Waite, ex Cherrypicker, went? He liked Saladcans.
Last time I saw him was '77 at Thamrait. Seen here with another pair of reprobates:

Wimpey, Bill, Mick Hicks v2.jpg

It rained a lot in '76 and all the old hands said "ah yes, the once in ten year rains". Then the following year . . .

Ah well, he must have handed his kit in by now. He'd be older than me. A bloody good mate from when we were young.

50 years ago I was in Salalah on detachment from Sharjah
1616022996540.png

Last edited:

haloman

Old-Salt
The fort at Mirbat, which featured prominently in the battle, is falling down. These pictures were taken a few days ago.

Mirbat fort 1.jpg

Mirbat fort 2.jpg

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a plan to rebuild the fort but it seems that it has been shelved.
The BATT house is in almost complete disrepair.
Perhaps we should find someone who went to RMAS with the Sultan and get him to persuade the old boy to put some cash to it.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
This thread is probably a better place for this news than the Deadpool 2021 thread. The Daily Telegraph has reported the death of Nick Downie. The obituary is of course paywalled but someone did me the favour of scanning it and here it is. The bit relevant to Dhofar is of course his raid into PDRY when he levelled the fort in Sanaw. I arrived in Thamrait in Nov '75 and this event was still talked about. I seem to remember that he was not exactly tasked to go that far into PDRY and any suggestion of mine (stupid youth that I was) that this sort of thing be more common was met with shaking heads all round.

189032216_4116863535003256_6941336411503850614_n.jpg

187634986_4116863868336556_7332884603560860204_n.jpg

Where's Sanaw? I hear you ask. Well the patrol would have crossed the Oman/PDRY border near Makinat Shihan and continued west.

Latest Threads