1972 Thames TV documentary on Dhofar

In May haloman wrote

“It was Christmas Day and all was peaceful in the Ops Room down at Umm Al Ghwarif in Salalah. The jebel was quiet, no contacts, very little air activity, a day for scratching your arrse and making endless brews.
Suddenly the VHF radio crackled into a life with a voice declaring, 'I am pissed off!'.
The Ops Officer grabbed the handset and demanded, 'Say again callsign'.
There was a few moments delay before the reply came, 'I'm not that pissed off!'

It’s now Christmas 2017.

On Christmas day 1971 I was at ‘Waterhole’ with 2 Coy JR and a two man BATT mortar team in support. In mid afternoon a helicopter dropped in with Christmas lunch – a roast chicken and a bottle of Champagne.

I went over to the BATT sanger with my water bottle mug and the Champagne , and asked the two BATT guys if they would like to share it. “You can’t drink Champagne out of a plastic mug”, said Cpl X . He picked up a 81mm Para Illum and snapped off the tail fin – making a perfect chalice. “Try this”, he said. We got exactly three ‘fills’ from the bottle, and I still have the ‘glass’ as a souvenir !

A quiet day at Ravens Roost. Time to have a brew and scratch your arrse. It wasn't always like that....... the Midway road could get busy at times....... We found the prop on the abandoned airstrip when we arrived.
One time the OC arrived with the Brigadier by heli and announced that the Brig was 'very keen to take a look down the Wadi Naheez'.
(The Naheez contained a lot of the bad guys heavy weaponry and they would fight to the last man to defend it).
I said 'Sure boss, it's just over there. Help yourself'.
They both looked a little nonplussed until the OC said that actually the Brig was very keen for us to take a look down the Naheez.
That put an entirely different complexion on things.

Don't you just love the upper echelons terminology?

Ravens Roost (3).jpg

A quiet day at Ravens Roost. Time to have a brew and scratch your arrse. It wasn't always like that....... the Midway road could get busy at times....... We found the prop on the abandoned airstrip when we arrived.
One time the OC arrived with the Brigadier by heli and announced that the Brig was 'very keen to take a look down the Wadi Naheez'.
(The Naheez contained a lot of the bad guys heavy weaponry and they would fight to the last man to defend it).
I said 'Sure boss, it's just over there. Help yourself'.
They both looked a little nonplussed until the OC said that actually the Brig was very keen for us to take a look down the Naheez.
That put an entirely different complexion on things.

Don't you just love the upper echelons terminology?

View attachment 320145
I bumped in to one of your colleagues featured here a few years ago. Previous to that it was back in 1976, when he was exchanging life on the Jebel for the sky God downs surrounding Netheravon.

I bumped in to one of your colleagues featured here a few years ago. Previous to that it was back in 1976, when he was exchanging life on the Jebel for the sky God downs surrounding Netheravon.
Would that be the little guy at the back with a tablecloth on his head?

Would that be the little guy at the back with a tablecloth on his head?
As if that was a serious question :) however if it was, I was referring to your 2 Trp. colleague, young Eddy there.

There were no credits on this. The theme music is familiar but what was the name of the programme? And who was the reporter?

Also interesting to see an oblique reference to Mirbat, which must have taken place no more than a few months earlier. I thought that it was meant to be a secret battle.
Mirbat and the fort are bottom left of slide photo. Dhofar 1974

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk