1970s Cold war Killing Zone positions.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by banjotrooper, Mar 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whils't serving with 3 RTR in Fallingbostel, on Chieftain, during the early and mid 70's, at the height of the cold war, we were often crashed out to our pre prepared, killing zone positions, to wait for the advancing Soviet armour I remember they were hull down scrapes, cammed up, but apart from that, I have not got the slightest idea where we were! All I know is, we were never told whether it was for real or pretend,ha! The replen boys were to bomb and diesel us up when we were in position. I can remember names sounding like, Veesendorf Corridor and Falais gap. Anyone ideas please?
  2. Fulde gap would have been one of them - especially if you were at effing b.
    Minden Gap was another one
    certainly fulde gap was genuine
  3. Any idea where fulde gap was? All I remember, it was a long motor to these positions, mostly at night, bearing in mind, we were at Fally.
  4. That would be the Fulda Gap with an 'a'.
    It's (incidentally) near Fulda.
    Near Kassel.
  5. Thanks lads. During these crashouts, how many regiments etc would of been in these positions approx, would it be Brigade, Division, maybe Bundeswere, what do you reckon?
  6. I thought all fuel tanks had to be full and all kit had to be packed etc. Only the outload of the ammo was delayed until things were serious!

Anyway, I think it was the Wietzendorf Corridor - IIRC. multi-map.co.uk is currently down so I can't check. I think the Falais Gap was further south.

7. What a long time ago.... If I remember correctly, SACEUR could, in theory, call out 1 (BR) Corps and all the others (US), (NL), (BE), (GE) at the same time. I was told, many years ago, that only two major alerts were initiated by SACEUR - at the time of the Cuban missile crisis, and the invasion of Hungary by Russia. As a whole-scale deployment would have triggered panic amongst the German population, I can see why!

Usually, it was the lower formations that were exercised and then rarely for more than a couple of days.

But then there were the 6 and 8 week Schemes! Deep Joy!

8. I could be wrong here but isn't the Wietzendorf Corridor the bridge link between the two trg areas - Hohne ranges and Munster Sud. It crosses the B3 and was the only way to get tracked vehicles from one to the other. Short of storming across in advance to contact formation.
  9. I think you're right! But it just shows how important that corridor was. Had those pesky Russians got their hands on it, we wouldn't have been able to travel from Hohne to Munster - and then what would we have done?

10. Blimey! The ol brain is worn out, 30 odd years is a long time ago! The names ring a bell, especialy Weitzendorf coridor. Could this area have been a killing zone? I remember our positions, were on the edge of a large valley, in which Ivan or Fritz would appear! The stalwarts were very quick on the scene with fuel and the lack of ammo, assured us it was a dummy run!
  11. Memories of Active Edge, as a Heavy Gunner Regt we would get this exercise two or three times a year.Being in Hildesheim we would deploy to our positions in the surrounding villages, never the same area or village on these call outs.One time I remember we did deploy to a very different location where our gun pits had already been dug for us and live ammo was on the back of the Stolly's, we stayed there for five days. Lack of news on the radio made us aware it was a training ex but it still brought it home just what we were there for. Falais Gap was a battle in WWII, loads of krauts wiped out along with a lot of Tommies.
  12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I was always under the impression (particularly from contemporary literature) that the Fulda Gap was the Septic's main defensive line, south of the Harz Mountains, which were covered by 3 Armd Div, while 1,2 and 4 covered north of the Harz.

Or a meringue?
  13. I am sure I had a wargame called "Fulda Gap" in the early 1980's. It had a couple of geezars with a Charlie G on the front as I recall.

14. The Fulda Gap is a strategic feature (like the North German Plain) south of the Harz Mountains and the HochSauerland. Pesky commies would have to pour through the Fulda gap to take Frankfurt and points west. Meanwhile other hordes of pesky commies would be pouring acrss the North German Plain (the area between the Teutoburgerwald ridge and the coast) hoping to catch the massed ranks of BAOR still sleeping off their hangovers.

3 RTR would have had the same effect as a speed hump.
  15. And the Falaise Gap is in France. After D Day it was a killing area with the Germans caught in it. The photos of it look mightily similar to the Highway of Death out of Kuwait City.