1970s British rank insignia

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BlueJobLiney, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My old man has been wondering about this for ages as he can't remember anymore. :roll:

In the mid 1970's what rank insignia was worn on the 1968 ptn smock? Was it the old style rank chevrons or was it the olive green rank patch?

He can remember the old style chevrons on the wolly pully but not what was on the field smock.

Cheers in advance!
  2. My old para smock had the old ones '60's and IIRC new ones on the new style smocks in the mid '70's.
  3. Some wore old chevrons on a brassard, if I remember correctly.
  4. Come on, it wasn't that long ago.

The rank patch was green with black chevrons etc. on. Worn on the right sleeve only.

Officers wore epaulettes.

The No.2's style chevrons were for BD, though there may have been some worn with the combat jacket as an interim measure, though this would have been in the early 70s, rather than the mid 70s.
  5. These were probably cadets. Brassards (unless they had pen pockets - 70s equivalent of Gucci!) were frowned upon.
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

The standard was the thin, slightly glossy, woven ribbon type that was black on a shiny dark green background except for the booties who had the thicker, olive green US style patches with overlocked edges and black insignia.

These were much cooler and hence were worn when you could get away with it.
  7. Being a sad sort of chap, I have a copy of an earlier edition of Terry Gander's The Modern British Army to hand, and there is a photo in there of a 4PARA NCO wearing his rank on a brassard. The photo, judging from the hairstyle, dates from the early 1970s. Another photo, not easy to date but taken before 1980, has an RA Lance-Bombardier wearing his rank on a brassard also, which suggests that a-p's recollection is spot on.

Photos in Desmond Hamill's account of the Army's involvement in Ireland between 1969 and 1984 has photos from 1971 and 1976 in which the old-style chevrons are clearly worn on the smock, rather than the olive green patch.
  8. maninblack

Brassards were the in thing at Pirbright around that time. Everyone who was a private/guardsman at Pirbright wore a brassard made from barrack dress material with a circular embroidered badge to indicate that you were a trained soldier.
  9. ...and it was white tape on the shirt sleeves....
  10. maninblack

Certainly was white tapes in most regiments that I saw. Some had white tapes on jersey heavy wool although I did also see both the above patch types on JHW as well.
  11. 'Come on, it wasn't that long ago'

'These were probably cadets. Brassards (unless they had pen pockets - 70s equivalent of Gucci!) were frowned upon'.

Yes it was that f**king long ago and - about 1975 - ?. and definately not cadets.
  12. It was white cheverons on a khaki background sewn onto right sleeve of jersey HW and DPM combats in 1972.
  13. The No.2 Dress chevrons were a 2/3 size version of BD chevrons (except the Guards who kept (keep?) the old size.

I do remember some individuals wearing No.2 dress chevrons on combat jackets though.
  14. Ditto. The nylon 'combat' stripes we a mid seventies thing and onwards.

Ref brassards, Household Div use to have brassards for No2 dress shirt (made from No2 dress shirt material) shirts hairy and wolley pulley(made out of denim/lightweigts material) and startched to fcuk so they could stand up. Remember, Guards RSMs have a fcuk off big tate and lyle on the forarm on brassards, not cuff too.

But there are/were shoite loads of regimental variations - RTR wear 'combat stripes on green wolley pulleys, 13/18 H use to have eppaulettes (never could spell that word!) with the rank on the right shoulder and some other cav regts had WO wristles from lance jacks and up in shirt sleave order while others also wore them in jumper order!
  15. Unless you were a "Jock" then was white chevrons on tartan armbands for Jersey and shirt order....Argylls and The Watch...1a for the Watch and 1b for the Argylls....