Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

1961 - Jnr Para

Just noticed this Pathe clip by accident so just posted here. The way we were, another planet, Beverley brought back some memories. I see £££££ when looking at the new Dennison smocks!

Last edited:
Fifteen? Some of them look to be about twelve. And yet, my old man, born in late 1942, so not much older than the bairns in this film, joined the Merchant Navy at fifteen. On his sixteenth birthday he had been around the world twice. As a sixteen year old he spent six weeks in an Egyptian prison for crippling a thieving Arab on his ship when said Arab came aboard thieving. (My old man had a broken arm at the time and crippled said Arab with a length of chain after he pulled a knife in the old man. However 1958 was not a good time to be British in Egypt following Suez - the Swiss Consulate eventually got him out and he ended up in a Turkish hospital.)

To put this in context. As a fifteen year old I had a paper round. I look at this and my dad's story, and I feel old, soft and pampered.

Ah Malta Barracks - having done various courses there I can say with some certainty they they, particularly the plumbing, have not been updated since this film was made.

WM

Fifteen? Some of them look to be about twelve. And yet, my old man, born in late 1942, so not much older than the bairns in this film, joined the Merchant Navy at fifteen. On his sixteenth birthday he had been around the world twice. As a sixteen year old he spent six weeks in an Egyptian prison for crippling a thieving Arab on his ship when said Arab came aboard thieving. (My old man had a broken arm at the time and crippled said Arab with a length of chain after he pulled a knife in the old man. However 1958 was not a good time to be British in Egypt following Suez - the Swiss Consulate eventually got him out and he ended up in a Turkish hospital.)

To put this in context. As a fifteen year old I had a paper round. I look at this and my dad's story, and I feel old, soft and pampered.

Brilliant! thanks for posting! The modern counterparts are mostly still on skateboards and being moisturized by Mum before leaving the house!

I remember the company of Junior Paras at Derring lines Brecon during their trg, it must have been about 1966, it was a real pleasure to watch them.in passing, and to see the determination on their young faces.

Edited to add: sorry for giving credit to the wrong poster. Bus Pass 01 take a bow!

edited for poor spelling.

Last edited:

cabin%20boy_zps5af4bcn4.JPG