1960s school chair lacquer/varnish question.

I’ve got some school chairs that I’d like to resurface. As by the picture, one is high gloss finish and the others are faded and dull.

Any idea what I can use to get this high shine again?

Attachments

• 05687E14-60BD-4B0C-8660-F69096D99B13.jpeg
    05687E14-60BD-4B0C-8660-F69096D99B13.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 314398A5-875B-483E-BBB6-A68C3926969D.jpeg
    314398A5-875B-483E-BBB6-A68C3926969D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Clear lacquer rattle cans from Halfords. First though clean them down with some "panel wipe" also available from Halfords but you can get five litres for the price of a small tin if you go to an automotive paint supply shop.

Very unusual.... this man might be able to help, he's an expert on "modern antiques" as well.

Some of the 50s and 60s designs can be quite valuable....... use the wrong varnish etc and you could ruin them, might be worth an e-mail with photo.

It's more likely to be an industrial spray-on lacquer than varnish on the duller ones. Perhaps try a test of clear lacquer on an unseen section to see if you get a near match with the high gloss?

Edit. Beaten to it by people who know what they're talking about.

endure

GCM
Cane some children and make them sit on the chairs afterwards. Their squirming from the pain will bring the chairs back to a high polish especially if you coat the chairs in beeswax first...

They look more like a Scandiavian style of dining chair to me...... I've watched some of this fellers shows, and the difference between original designs and copies can be 5 grand or 50p, but unless you know your stuff.......

Cane some children and make them sit on the chairs afterwards. Their squirming from the pain will bring the chairs back to a high polish especially if you coat the chairs in beeswax first...
I tried that with Mrs A.

She's not quite as keen as I am (or you by the sound of it) and now the shackles have scratched the shiny one to buggery.

So thanks for that.

It was a shite idea, albeit entertaining.

Latest Threads