1960s Guards Documentary

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Hitch, Mar 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst waiting for a life insurance lecture during training I recall being shown a black and white documentary on Guards recruits, possibly in Pirbright, possibly 1960s. Much more interesting than the lecture, never seen it since. Does anyone know it? Anyone have a copy?

2. (Puts anorak and geek spectacles on before replying)

I think the documentary was called 'All the Queen's Men' and was one of the first programmes to be shown on Channel 4 when it launched back in 1982. You're right in that it was made in the mid-sixties and covered basic training at Pirbright, public duties in London and operations in Aden and Borneo. It also focussed briefly on the Guards Independent Parachute Company. I remember one of the RSMs reminding a group of recruits about to go on leave for the first time to behave themselves and saying if any of them have a mate who might be interested in joining "Bring him back - we'll kit him out - we'll slot him in", obviously recruit selection was a little different 40 years ago. The documentary also showed a young Maj. Gen. Evelyn Webb-Cater as a subaltern explaining how the Grenadiers say 'Yes' and 'No' by saying 'Sir'. Webb-Carter is now the Controller of the ABF. I did have a copy on video for many years but I'm not sure if it ended up being binned when we moved house a few years ago. I'll check in the loft to see if I still have it and if I find it, try and get a copy of it for you.