1952, Wiltshire regiment.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jock the scot, Jun 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A family photo from 1952.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loved it when in the day a tie was worn with battledress and later with the green combats :) great photo by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Wessex Training Brigade flash under their shoulder titles.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Inspecting officer looks like a bag of shit!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well, he does look about 96. Probably got the first row of medals from WW1.

6. Isn't it interesting to reflect that the Reviewing Officer was probably a Subaltern at The Somme (or similar) location, yet he's reviewing troops in the Nuclear era who could have possibly served in the 1980s and even, as senior officers, taken part in the Falkalnds War, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well the geriatric senior officer appears to have Para wings on, so Old Baldy less of the bag of shite!

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Doesn't look like wings to me. Definitely a badge of some description though.

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

When I first joined my battalion, in '67 the QM was WW2 SAS, quite a rack compared to the others who only had GSM, Malaya/Borneo if any. Fast forward a number of years my then boss was a crusty major who had an MC from Korea. When fully booted and spurred they both stood out.
    Now as things wind down the youngsters joining today will see their seniors with a fair rack & unless something else happens they will have a Charles Coronation and that will be it.

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

12. The reviewing Officer may well have been nails.

A few Battalions were disgraced and disbanded by Monty shortly after the Normandy landings. (The basic premise appears to be for not fighting hard enough.) A couple of CO's were dismissed.

The 4th & 5th Bn's The Wiltshire Regiment can hold their collective heads high. They landed, they fought (and died) alongside alongside The 4th Bn Somerset LI, 7th Bn Hampshire and 4th & 5th Bn's Dorsetshire with distinction.

A bit of scruffy? Pah.

Edited to add: The disbanded Battalions I mentioned above were NOT The Wiltshires.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My thoughts entirely....Honourary Colonel dragged out of the pub again!

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Attached Files: