1950s Combat dress v CS95

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Jan 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Just picked up a british 1953 dated green combat cap. The standard of manufacture is outstanding.

Good quality windproof cotton, wool lined ear flaps, leather band in the crown, waterproof lined in the top. It is also very well made. The jackets and trousers follow in the same style.

When I go to my issued CS95 it doesn't compare at all.

Although I suppose in the 50's we still had some Empire left, rifles were .303, and ammo boots were everyday wear.

2. Just remember that all your clothing and equipment is now provided by the lowest bidder!

3. I thnk this may be a case of rose- tinted specs. What about DMS boots & cheese- grater insoles, crisp bag 'waterproofs' and the ironically named 'large pack'. (I would also add KF shirts, but I know one bloke who still wears them!) 8O

4. General Melchett

Oh yes, now you mention it those. I used to love the way the large pack could contain a towel and spare shreddies, leaving the doss bag to give you neck strain every time you tried to get in to the prone position. Sorted.

Other than that though, I still stand by the actual combat suit being of a better quality than CS95.

5. I think the 1950's issue of Green Combats & Cap were designed for Korea which could be pretty damn cold in the winter. Even the 1960 Pattern Green Combats (and first issue 60 Pattern DPM) were well made. The 1968, 1984 & 1990 Patterns saw standards falling well before 'Soldier 95' What Next.... Paper 'Disposable' Combats/NBC Suits all in One?

6. General Melchett

I've been in a disposable paper suit before. Damn those police searches.

7. I'm not positive but I think most of that 1950's green cbt clo is of 1953 iand later issue. The British Army early in Korea had to borrow US field jackets for wear.

But I agree, older kit is generally of quite high manufacture quality. That's partly because manufacturers had to meet a standard set by the contract for materials and workmanship, not just be the lowest bidder. Also these days I'm sure the Government looks for the best compromise in quality and durability when setting standards for kit, to pay as little as possible.

8. General Melchett

Yes, it was 1953 onwards, with slight differences between 1950 pat, 1960 pat, 1966 pat (not wanting to get spotterish PM me if you want to know). An under collected area of militaria, and quite hard to find early items.

9. Combat kit of the type GM described WAS issued to the army during the Korean war. I have a photograph showing elements of 1KOSB on parade watching Speakman being presented with the ribbon for his VC all were wearing the green combat suit. 'Kowang San' (the battle in which he won the VC) was fought on November 5th 1951 so the parade must've been around April 1952. Unfortunately the kit was withdrawn (from 1KOSB anyway) after the Korean war, they were not reissued it until their return from Aden in 1964!

10. The 85 pattern combats were the real low point. I got one set of these at Sandhurst in 85 (plus a set of the older, better made ones). The first time we went out in the field, a blerk in my pl put his binos in one of the pockets, and the whole pocket then fell off!